Build my tank!

Regarding the black sand - I personally have it in my 125 gallon and love it, but there are a few drawbacks:

1. It's not as bright, and you don't get light reflecting off of the sand back up to the underside of rocks/caverns. It makes for an overall darker aquarium, and not just because the sand is dark.
2. Anytime a bit of rock or anything not black gets in the sand, it sticks out like crazy! The black sand sure makes the fish and corals pop, but other junk does too!

Check out my build thread for pictures: https://www.livingreefs.com/aarons-125g-move-build-1st-timer-here-t29286.html

Sweet, thanks. Hmmm - yeah, I could see how your black sand would get "polluted" with rock bits after a while. I'll have to think about that.
Anyone have a vortech or run biopellets/zeo?

I don't have a vortech yet, but I do plan on getting one at some point. I love the fact that the motor and power cord is on the outside of the tank and not in it. I would think this would reduce the chance of stray voltage. I've only heard good things about the vortechs.

Oh and as for the Black sand. It looks very striking. I had it in my Zero and my RSMax. It is not reflective so the tank will look a bit dimmer and you have to keep it clean. It shows every little speck of rock rubble, and everything else that might be on it. I enjoy my white stuff that I have now better.

DC, funny, that's the exact one I was looking at! I love the brand, as well, great quality. I'd be interested in your opinion for skimmer vs. algae scrubber.

Yeah, after thinking about my lack of enthusiasm for cleaning sand...white may be better. I just wish there was an easy way of keeping the algae the grows between the glass & the sand clean.

I actually just installed a VorTech yesterday, albeit just a MP10w ES. In that size of a tank you could probably get away with the one MP40, but the pumps really shine when you have 2 or more working together. The EcoSmart controller will use the two pumps together, but at different times to really simulate ocean flow. I will likely end up with a second MP10 in my 30 gallon to take advantage of this at some point.

I'm also waiting for the Sol Nano to be released, as I'm going to put in two of those to replace my PC lighting. I think putting those over an algae scrubber/refugium would be a huge waste of money. I'm all for LED lighting, but since the visual quality isn't as important outside of the display tank go for something cheaper...then put the savings towards a second (or third) vortech.

I'd probably go for this: Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lights and actually might as I put in my sump over the next couple of months.

How do you like that vortech so far?
Good point on the visual quality - I just don't want to replace bulbs. Those ecoxotic's look like a good option - I wonder how their spectrum converts as far as growing algae goes...

The VorTech is great, but I think the 36" tank is a bit of a stretch for the single pump. I ran EcoSmart Tidal Swell mode Monday/Tuesday, and switched it to Reef Crest last night. The Tidal swell starts with small waves that grow bigger and stronger over a few hours before resetting, and the reef crest mode is totally random simulating the rapidly changing flow of the outer reef. I think the EcoSmart modes are much more effective with 2+ pumps working together.

I have a bubble coral that's really close to pump, and he doesn't seem to like the increased flow so far. I'll probably need to move him farther away, but my Zoanthids are absolutely loving the rapidly changing flow.

Adding this pump was just the first step in a whole slew of tank upgrades over the next few months. It'll still be just my 30 gallon display tank, but it'll incorporate everything I've learned since starting the tank.

Back