Bulb tip Anemene

Nimboli12

Reefee
Can we talk about Bulb Anemene's? I got one for my clowns. A testimonial on LA said not to put too many in a reef. When their feelers are outstretched and waving that means they're hungry? It says to feed them pieces of fish. Are they ok with Myses shrimp? I gave mine a little chunk of Myses shrimp & it quickly closed up.
Eexpecting it to break off the rock I bought it on when it confortable & make its way around the tank. It wants salt gravity @ .023 - .026. My tank is just about there. Temp wise my tank is @ 75. Should it be warmer ?

Any thing else I should know about them?

Umm, well ... you should probably know lots more about these guys BEFORE you buy them.

Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep in this hobby. They require pristine water conditions, high lighting (higher than corals) and stability. Its very rare to find a tank under a year old that has the pristine water conditions and the stability. And if they die, they can nuke your whole tank.

What is your salinity, it should be rock solid at 1.025 for these guys. Temp is fine and I would feed them mysid pieces every fews day.

Good luck

My salt level is at .023 but Im working to raise it (not too quickly). How can I tell if its dead? or any other coral in my tank?

It is at the top of my tank where its going to get most light. LA did not say that it was poisinous to the tank when it dies. I can't get my info fron LFS they'll tell us anything in this area. I depend on LA, & here.

IF read that when the tentacles are out flowing they want more light or they're hungry.

I dont think the tentacles means anything.

A nem that is dying or not doing well will become white, wander all over the tank or just dissolve randomly. A coral will either turn white (all that is left is the white skeleton) or melt away.

If it is colorful and attached to the rock, that is a good sign. If it starts to lose color, detaches and floats away or starts disintegrating, those are bad signs. What you are feeding it is fine. Usually in the next day after feeding, it will close up and poop.

LA says that the Bulb Aneneme will move around the tan to find a spot it likes. So is it a good thing when you see them do this or does it mean its not doing well? Ive asked them how often to feed it. I would think that in the ocean it can only grab what goes by so I would think not daily?

LA says that the Bulb Aneneme will move around the tan to find a spot it likes. So is it a good thing when you see them do this or does it mean its not doing well? Ive asked them how often to feed it. I would think that in the ocean it can only grab what goes by so I would think not daily?

I used to feed my BTA maybe once a week. From what I read, annenome's are pretty simple creatures with simple digestive systems and it takes a lot of energy for them to digest food, so minimal feedings with small pieces of food is better then feeding often.

From what I understand, a roaming BTA is an uphappy one. Yes, they could move around the tank till they find a spot they are happy with, but frequent moving usually means that they are looking for light, less flow, food or something else.

BTA's perfer to anchor in a rock that offers some protection. They don't like to be fully exposed and will open up as needed to get light, but they do retract into their "cave".

For what it's worth, this has worked for me in the past. I am by no means an expert, but have done a lot of research. If anyone feel the need to correct any informaiton I have provided, please do so.

Good luck.

John

Good Luck

Mine came on a medium size rock & is at the top of my tank. He retracted earlier today. I'll pick a day for his feeding & only feed once weekly on that day.

So if he stays in his spot that means hes happy. I hope my clowns start to host him soon.
Thanks so much for any info,.

Honestly,I'd feed the BTA something like a silver side or a piece of raw table shrimp.But that's just me.And just feed it once every couple of weeks.
When you feed anemones and they get ready to take a crap,it's long stringy strands of brown,nasty looking shit.And it'll fowl your water quality pretty dang quick if it's happening once a week.
So my advice.Is to feed it good once every couple of weeks.Do your water changes on the day AFTER feeding the anemone.

Now that I think about it he might be too exposed at the top of the tank. Id like to move him down so he feels more protected. I'll send a pic of him.

Back