Will The Bumblebee Shrimp Eat or Host?

• Shrimp Will Eat Cucumber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shrimp Will Host On Cucumber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ReefMadness

Reefing newb
I have a bumblebee shrimp in my tank that I had seen once other than the day I bought it 2-3 weeks ago... I recently added a bright yellow dwarf sea cucumber (not sure what species, about 1" with pointy spikes and LFS said it won't get much bigger). Then suddenly a couple days later (now) my bumblebee shrimp is circling around the cucumber and just kind of lurking right around it. I did read that bumblebee shrimp feed on the feet of starfish/cucumbers but also that they host on cucumbers so I'm not quite sure if he wants to eat it or host on it.

Okay, been watching and it looks like the shrimp is trying to eat the cucumber now, hahaha. For a while there it seemed like he was hosting on it but now it appears he was trying to figure out the best way to eat it. It looks now like he is just latched onto one of the spikes with his mandibles but he is not pinching with his large claws so now sure what to make of this.

Anyone seen these two interact? Right now I'm thinking this shrimp is going to slowly devour him over the next week, but at least I gave a nice live mean to my shrimp I guess...

Your cucumber is a filter feeding cuke, which means that you will have to feed it regularly. Also, if you shrimp is eating the cucumber, it will release holothurin toxins that will kill most tank inhabitants.

Thanks for the info - I was aware of the filter-feeding and I have been feeding him and my corals and flame scallop (which I didn't realize what I was getting into with when I purchased and probably would not buy again) what was recommended to me at the LFS (refrigerated drops of microplankton, don't know details).

Many thanks for the heads up on the toxins. I was not aware that this thing was capable of nuking my tank when it dies. You'd think that's just the kind of thing to mention when selling him, huh... Is nuke a sure thing upon his death? Similar nuke probability to a cowfish upon death?

I'm not convinced either way at this point as far as hosting/eating goes. The shrimp appears to have is mouth area basically resting on the cucumber but he's not really pinching/biting or really moving in any way. The cucumber does not seem to be distressed or trying to get away but not quite sure what that means since I don't know how cukes behave when threatened.

Hello and Welcome!

Not quite sure what to tell you but keep an eye on it, if the cuke looks like its melting, I would pull is ASAP. Other than that, I would try and keep it feed and keep an eye on it.

Back