Buying Fiji Rock?

I was gonna say to watch yourself around this guy. I personally know people that caught a Federal case for poaching and importing live rock out of Hawaii. If it was me, and I was starting all over again, I'd hook up with Tampa Bay Saltwater. You get real, live rock, and a ton of great hitch hikers as well.

Last edited:
So how do I tell if its alive if he has it in water?

Dead rock will smell "dead" or like death, or like ass, or a combination of both Dead ass.

Live rock will smell like the ocean would, or a slightly fishy smell.

If it smells like death, don't put it in the tank without cycling it first.

So someone just posted on craigslist warning people about the guy selling the fiji rock.

They said that all his rocks are full of fire worms

I doubt they are fire worms. Most of the pink worms that are mistakenly called fire worms are actually just plain old bristleworms, which are great members of the clean up crew and will keep your rocks and sand clean better than anyone else. There are hundreds of different species of similiarly looking worms, though. It's extremely rare to get an actual fire worm in the rock in this hobby. Bristleworms and fire worms also look different from each other, but many people confuse them and automatically think, when they see a pink/tan/reddish worm, that it's bad. It's not. 99.9% of the time, it's just a bristleworm.

Back