Calcium addition ???

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
I have been a very bad reef tank owner the last couple of months. I have been trying to play catch up on the tank and am having trouble getting the calc level up. The tests show it at 280-300ppm and I normally( when I am being a good owner) keep it at 380-400. The total volume is 200 gal. How much do I need to add to get it back up to the correct range. And do I add it all at once. I have never let it get this low and I am unsure.
I am beginning to have problems with my SPS corals and I hope I havent waited to long to do something. Holidays have been crazy but I guess that is just an excuse. Would someone give me some good advice.
Thanks

There's a calculator for additives somewhere that I'm sure someone will post. But you want to bring your calc levels up slowly. Also, do you have a DKH and Magnesium test? Those are important parameters to maintain calcium levels.
If your corals are already starting to die it's probably gonna be tough if even possible to get them going again, unfortunatly.
Are you keeping up with water changes?

Here is the calculator that Solar mentioned.Reef Chemistry Calculator

He's also right about not trying to bring it up all at once.
I'd start by doing a couple of big water changes (depending on how much calcium is in your brand of salt) then dose from there.
If the SPS is already looking bad,then its gonna be tough to bring them back.

The best and safest way to correct everything is to start doing good water changes.

Very good advice. What brand salt mix are you using? IO is reported to have low calcium and might need supplementation. Most other mixes do a good job when it comes to calcium.

Back