Calcium Question

iDad

Reefing newb
I bought a Calcium test kit yesterday from PetCo and tested out my levels this afternoon and it came up saying that my Calcium Levels were at 420 ppm. I have a 20 Gallon Long tank with a clownfish, two peppermint shrimp, 8 turbo snails, 8 hermit crabs and an emerald crab.

My high ph levels are at 8.2 and everything else is back down to ZERO. Is 420 ppm good or is that high? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so let me know what I need to do to get my tank set up for corals. Well, my wife would like an anemone so let me know what I need to do to get that!

As far as my lighting, I have two T5 lights from PetCo. 1 Ocean Sun, and 1 Coral Sun (something like that) and I have a wave maker as well already installed.

420 is fine for calcium. Testing for calcium really isn't necessary until you start keeping hard corals like LPS and SPS. Here's an article that goes over the basics for your water levels Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ideally, you should be waiting about a year before adding really sensitive animals like anemones. The first year or so there are fluctuations in tank stability that can be difficult for them to survive in. Not to mention you're new to the hobby and still need to learn the basics, as well as just learn your tank (everyone's tank is different and require different levels of maintenance).

420 is fine for calcium. Testing for calcium really isn't necessary until you start keeping hard corals like LPS and SPS. Here's an article that goes over the basics for your water levels Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ideally, you should be waiting about a year before adding really sensitive animals like anemones. The first year or so there are fluctuations in tank stability that can be difficult for them to survive in. Not to mention you're new to the hobby and still need to learn the basics, as well as just learn your tank (everyone's tank is different and require different levels of maintenance).

Completely Understand! My wife has been on and on about adding a coral or something in the tank, but now I can show her this and she can get off my back :razz:

I have had my tank running for little over 4 months, maybe 5 and I haven't had any problems with fluctuations. I recently had ammonia levels at .25 but they are back down to zero. Had a problem with my filter. I bought a bigger/better one and the levels dropped back to zero very quickly.

Thanks for the help!

You can certainly start with corals. They are much easier to keep and are more forgiving to minor fluctuations. There are some corals that are even easier to keep then some fish and inverts.

I'm assuming your testing Temp, pH, NH3, NH4, and Amm what most people test for but there are so many minerals and components that we don't/ just can't test for that people overlook which can fluctuate.

You can certainly start with corals. They are much easier to keep and are more forgiving to minor fluctuations. There are some corals that are even easier to keep then some fish and inverts.

I'm assuming your testing Temp, pH, NH3, NH4, and Amm what most people test for but there are so many minerals and components that we don't/ just can't test for that people overlook which can fluctuate.

Yeah I am testing for all of that. My temperature stays at 78, and my PH Levels stay at 8.2. Nothing else has fluctuated even a bit except for the ammonia and like I said that was because of the HOB filter that I had, it crapped out and I got a new one and it has taken care of the ammonia issue.

What kind of corals would be good to start with in your opinion?

Xennia I have heard can be picky, but mine are doing great. I have been having good luck with my Kenya tree, zooa's, and green star polyps as well. I have 2 hard corals, a plate and branch type, and the individual polyps seem to be doing great but I dont see any real growth on the hard corals. The soft corals seem very hearty

Xenia and leathers are good starters. Keep them away from your lr because they tend to take over. Later down the road they turn into a "weed" for hobbiest and are hard to get rid of once they have a foot hold. Star polyps are too the same.

Back