calcium reactors

chargedtuna

Reefing newb
I've got an 80g bow w/ all kinds of types of corals. I'm going to ask Santa for a calcium reactor for Xmas.

Can I please have some advice on which ones are better than the others b/c Santa wants to know...!

thanks
Julie

I've got a protein skimmer already. My LFS installed it in oct '05 so I'm not clear as to what brand it is or what size the tank that it is in is (wanna say around a 15gal). I could probably fit a 10gal tank under the stand beside the fuge, can't go bigger than that though for sure. I don't know logistics of setting up a calcium reactor (i.e. where to put it, separate tank, w/ fuge or what). I don't know if that can hang on the tank or if it is housed in separate tank either or what. I could feasibly put it on top of the stand that's on top of the aquarium. could I also do a drip from the top? i dunno..

I'm not going to want to spend a fortune on this put I'm not going to ask for el cheapo. I want this done right, that's why I'm asking the experts here....:)

this is a pic of the basic setup. taken over the summer, tank inhabitants look totally different.
000_00541.jpg

Last edited:
OOOOoooops!!!!!!sorry I crashed and burned on you in my reply, your question was for a calcium reactor not a protein skimmer. I will be using a Georeef 618. The 618 is the model and size. Again the boys at premium aquatics or marine depot can help you with the unit that is adequate for your system. you will need a co2tank, bubble counter, gauges, and proper valving. The Geo series allows for a controller and probe to set things up automatically. Systems cost apprx. upwards twards 500 dollars. you might consider knop, or one of the other setups. again check with others also and shop around a bit. on this item you do not want to scrimp on quality and a recircuating reactor is recommended. (uses less co2.). hope this helps. sorry for the other response I was asleep at the wheel I guess. keep us posted.

i saw that Chris had mentioned a Knop reactor in an old thread so I had been checking those out. Haven't heard of Georeef so I'll check that out. thanks!!

well, I guess no one on this site knows much about calcium reactors.
I had to search on another forum and found out that deltec and schuran reactors are good, just in case someone else wants one, fyi

Well if you want us to pick your calcium reactor for you then My recommendation is to go with the Georeef line. Premium aquatics can assist you on the correct size for your system. So, what else do you want to know about calcium reactors. you will need a co2 bottle (I recommend 5 gal), set of gages, and some valving with a bubble counter. If you go with a unit that provides for a probe you can set it up with a controller. you will need the media for the reactor such as ARM, or Kent brand, or, other. If you decide to go with the Geo series then you need look no furhter. If you decide to go with the Knop reactor you need look no further. Both these units will perform very well with your system. So, how can I further help you. let me know. Schuran I understand is good quality but parts from this manufacturer are sometimes hard to come by according to some I have talked to while deciding which way I wanted to go. I put deltec in the category with KNOP. Hope this helps. let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with.
I went with Georeef as I feel it is simply the best affordable reactor available, has excellent support, and parts replacement when needed are readily available. Customer service at Premium aquatics where I purchased mine is extrodinary and they are very responsive. I spent 6 months looking at calcium reactors, did a lot of reading on various products and decided on Georeef. If you have any more questions let us know.

Back