Calcium

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I am fairly new to keeping corals but have been pretty successful for the last 8 months. My only problem I seem to be having is that I cannot get my calcium level up. I started out with Purple Up putting 2 capfuls daily in my 60 gallon. I switched brands after running out of purple up to Two Little Fishies brand (their combo Ca + dKh). I add 25mL (recommended for my tank is 15) every night. I've been monitoring my alkalinity which has always been between 3.0-4.0. MY calcium is at 400ppm which is ok but I would like it to be just a little higher. I have one large torch coral, one medium frogspawn, a large colt coral, small colony of button polyps, starburst polyps, and mojano pests... plus tons of coralline, a few turbo snails, and about 100 little snails. Any helpful advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Biff done asked it.I'd about bet that your salt is causing your problem.
When I used instant ocean I couldnt get my calcium to go above 380 or so.

I'm not sure, I haven't added salt in months! I usually only top off my water with RO/DI water. I usually use Sea(somthing?) or instant ocean... but seriously I never add salt, my salinity is always creeping. Thanks for the advice though, I will keep that in mind when i go to buy salt again!

When you do water changes, you should use salt water. So next time you do a water change, try a different salt brand and see if it makes a difference.

There is more in the water chemistry than calcium. if you do not do water changes you are probably deficient in a few of the vitamins and minerals and possibly some of the other items. anyways I would recommend at least a 10 percent water change monthly. Now besides that if your corals are doing well and you do not want to change your method, it might be the coraline and corals are pulling out the calcium faster than you can replace it in which case a calcium reactor may be in store. also all your makeup should be with kalkwasser water. hope something here helps.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I started adding kalkwasser 4 days ago and already I have seen major improvements. My calcium shot up to 480, a little too fast I think. Now that I know it works better than my other calcium supplement I can titrate according my tanks needs. Thanks again.

Back