calcium

ya.. that's what i thought... i have reef buffer I'll keep adding it... my specific gravity is at 0.0122.. is that too low?

No, a pH of 8 is also perfect. Be sure that measure your pH at the same time of day when you do test. pH will slowly change over the course of the day.

for keeping a reef tank with invets, yes, you should bump your salinity up to 1.025. That is really easy to do, just top off with saltwater until you get to the correct level.

However, if you are only keeping fish then that is fine.

What are you using to measure the salinity though?

Hannahs right, really. Its not all about rules-of-thumb, the most important thing is stability and proper acclimation more than the numbers themselves. There is a too low and too high, but theres a fairly wide range of safe.

i have inverts, corals and fish... i have a plastic hydrometer from petco... sometimes it reads and sometimes it doesn't ... it kinda sux.. I'm going to bring a sample in to my aquatic girl today

Ya hydrometers are very unreliable, and they can go bad. You are suppose to replace them every 6 months.

You should get a refractometer. They are $25ish on ebay and the calibration fluid is about $3. Refractometers never go bad and are far more accurate.

I wouldnt add more salt until you get a better measurement tool

Not that I am aware of. The calibration fluid should be for 35ppm, which is the salinity of natural seawater. Most refractometers will have ppm scale on one side and then a specific gravity reading on the other. 1.025 is the specific gravity of natural seawater.

Back