Calibration fluid

Smitty

Reef pro
What's up guys, just wanted to share my experience with you all. I ordered a bottle of calibration fluid from marinedepot.com last week to double check my salinity level. I usually calibrate my refractometer using ro/di water and my salt level is always 1.026...but today, I calibrated my refractometer with the calibration fluid and found my tank salt level to actually be at 1.030!!! :shock: I'm doing a water change right now as we speak to start bringing that salinity down.

Yep, my refractometer does the same thing when calibrating with RO. But your tank is doing so well, I never would have guessed your salinity was that high!

It is definitely important to use the calibration fluid to make sure the refractometer is reading correctly. I try to check the calibration on mine once a month

HA!!! I tested 3x's and it actually was 1.028, not 1.030. I also made sure i wiped the glass off with a fresh piece of napkin and clean water, instead of just wiping it off with the same towel. I "may" have had a lil salt residue on the glass screen when I first tested.

What made me really concerned was within the last 2-3 weeks, my lps's, especially my duncan, hasn't been opening up fully throughout the day, and my chalk basslet suddenly decided to jump ship and carpet surf 4 days ago.

Hey thanks for all the great info. I have a refractometer but never knew about the calibration fluid. Learn something new every day on here.

Dang Smitty that was close. I know sometimes my new salt is a hair saltier or less salty and I just use it. Unless it is a full 2 points off I never adjust but my tank is always on 25 somehow.

I just ordered and will get today my Hannah Salinty machine. It was like $106 on Amazon and I have salt mixing right now to use it for the first time for my change on Friday.

The flip thing on my hand held broke so I was like $40 for a new one of $100 for this awesome easy machine.

I hope I do not get a scare like you just did. I am actually right now ordering PH calibration fluid and was deciding to get the bottle or use the pouches again and this came up on Google haha so it reminded me to order Salinity Solution. They do say try not to use RO for calibration and for $6 I won't.

Good luck with your salty fish haha their eyes are burning :mrgreen:

I got the Hannah and WOW! Just used my RO/DI to zero it for now but it must be correct my tank and mix were both 1.026 which is typically the reading I always get.

At least now I can begin to lower it down knowing the true exact digital read out with confidence. I want to get it to 1.024 I think. I just can't believe how simple it is now and fast plus I rinse the salt water with the RO/DI and press read and know it is clean when it says 0.

You should look into getting one off Amazon.

Dang Smitty that was close. I know sometimes my new salt is a hair saltier or less salty and I just use it. Unless it is a full 2 points off I never adjust but my tank is always on 25 somehow.

I just ordered and will get today my Hannah Salinty machine. It was like $106 on Amazon and I have salt mixing right now to use it for the first time for my change on Friday.

The flip thing on my hand held broke so I was like $40 for a new one of $100 for this awesome easy machine.

I hope I do not get a scare like you just did. I am actually right now ordering PH calibration fluid and was deciding to get the bottle or use the pouches again and this came up on Google haha so it reminded me to order Salinity Solution. They do say try not to use RO for calibration and for $6 I won't.

Good luck with your salty fish haha their eyes are burning :mrgreen:

I would be interested in seeing this thing. Can you post a pic or link to amazon?

Yeah hear is the link on Amazon. This was the cheapest I could find it when I search the net. I have Amazon Prime so I got it in 2 days free shipping.

I have my calibration fluid in the mail from Foster and Smith along with a bunch of other stuff to calibrate my Reef Keeper and some other items.

I can post a photo of mine or me using it if you like haha

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z4ITWU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation, Yellow LED, 0 to 50 PSU, +/-2 PSU Accuracy, 1 PSU Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

Back