Can a tank that was previously used for freshwater...

nensley

Reefing newb
be used for saltwater? I have a friend who may sell her 55 gallon tank. They have had it for a year set up as freshwater. If I bought it, could I use it for saltwater? What would I need to do as far as cleaning it to make it ready for saltwater? Also what would be a good price? It is set up in a beautiful dark wooden stand. So just for the aquarium and stand. I would not be buying any of the filters or light fixtures obviously. Thanks!!

Yep it would be fine. Just clean it with a vinegar/water solution and rinse well. For a used 55 gallon tank and stand, I would pay around $100.

For my 50, which is the same as a 55 gallon, only 3 inches shorter, I paid 75$ at the LFS, the stand would probably be worth more than the tank its self. I think I think my stand was marked at 185 new at the LFS, but in the end after adding the stand my total came out to be only 100$ more...

And with mine, all I cleaned it with was fresh water and a few brand new razor blades ( dont hit the silicone on the sides) But that was before I knew vinegar was acceptable... took me a while, but worth it in the end

yup, mine was a freshwater tank in the beggining. just don't forget to take the goldfish and danio's out! they don't like the saltwater :)

You can also use baking soda and warm water to clean it.

Don't use any soap or other cleaning products. They leave residue behind.

my 90 was a freshwater first, then a snake cage and now, a pretty reef tank. clean it and go.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I have a 30 gallon sump on my 125 but do not have a sump on the 90. I am going risky with it. I am trying to see if I can keep a clean tank with just biological filtration from the LR, carbon from a HOB, powerheads and snails. To make it work, I recognize that I cannot over stock the tank so I will be keeping to about 1 inch of fish for 6 gallons of water, so about 15 inches. If I do larger water changes weekly, I think I will be fine. I will put in a sand star in a bit to clean up the diatoms in the sand. call me crazy, but it just might work. If I doesn't after three months or so, I will add a 20 gallon long tank under the stand for my sump.

BTW Piggy, you are never a bother with your questions.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back