can i put a skimmer on a timer?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Does my protein skimmer have to run 24 hours? Can I put it on a timer to come on just during the day? My tank is in my room and the noise bothers me at night.

You could.But I'll advise against it.
When the skimmer is off,organic waste is building up in the tank.

If you can post some pics of the skimmer and tell us which one your running,we may be able to help you quieten it down some.

I have a 29 gallon tank with a Red Sea Prizm Hang-on Protein Skimmer. It's not the best but i am not investing in a better one right now because in about a year when my new house is finished being built, i will be re-setting up my 90 gallon with my bigger/better skimmer.

RIght now this skimmer is a bit noisy...and it's putting microbubbles into the tank. The troubleshooting directions in the manuel say to close the valve to eliminate the bubbles, but my valve is completely closed and it's still happening. Ahh...but i can deal with the bubbles if i have to, as i said this is a temporary set up. Any advice is appreciated.

Something that MIGHT help.

I'm not sure if you even get em now.But if you have an empty 35mm film canister,drill 2 holes in it just big enough for the air intake from the skimmer.One hole in the lid and one in the bottom.Stick the airline into the canister about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and use a drop of super glue to hold it in place.put a cotton ball in the canister to quieten the air flow.

Although it's best to keep it running all day, it won't hurt to turn it off at night...just think about some people without skimmers at all.

If you are diligent with your water changes, I think you could get away with turning it off at night.

That being said, Yote does have it right, it is best to run one 24x7 (in an ideal world)

Mine is also the loudest part of my setup. I occasionally turn if off when people are over and such

I am running a Reef Octopus Extreme 250 with 2 Pumps and all I can hear is the howling of the tubes where the air and water come in. That is only if I try to listen.

What do you guys have chainsaw motors haha.

I can hear it through my walk in closet but that just lets me know its on so I can't complain. In the room I used to hear the water outlet but as it runs longer and longer that has become almost silent.

At night the loudest thing I can hear is the pump I run the UV on and it just needs a little nudge and it quiets down.

Oh yeah my Skimmer is under my stand so maybe that helps but I didn't close in the back of the stand like I wanted to either.

I have to admit for a 220gal it is pretty silent.

Back