Can we keep him Please Mom?

Nu2Reefs

Reefing newb
My husband came home finally and was so impressed with the tank that he went out and bought a coral for me.
Yea thats the way he stocked the whole tank
Anyway, it a pagoda coral and I'm just wondering if I have enough light to keep him the info I've found on it say hardy but needs lots of light and movement.
I have lots of extra powerheads lying around but are pc's enough light?

??Coralife Hoods I think each light has one 65watttrue Actinic, one 65watt 10,000K and two lunar LEDs
2X30" I have a very old 60" long tank so nothing fits it in one piece
260 total I guess

I dont know, that doesnt sound like a lot of light for a 110. I dont know about the coral, if it needs alot of light I would guess there isnt enough. I think John will be on here soon, and I would think he can answer that question in more detail. Also if the bulbs are old they wont prduces that amount of light, over time the power wears down. Good luck.

Thanks thats what I was afraid of. Would you happen to know how I might go about finding other reefers in my area as I dont think the lsf he bought it from takes anything back and Id hate to just sit and watch it wither away day by day. I dont know anyone with a salt water aquarium around here much less a reef tank.

Ok, I checked with the lfs and they don't want to take him back. They are moving to a new location and trying to clean house before the move so to speak. I guess I can understand that. Anyway... I have an old set of regular florescent lights out in the garage with a 10,000k bulb and an actinic in each. No Idea on the watts but they are the big bulbs so not vho's or pc's. If I put one of those over the tank along with my pc's would that keep him happy until I can find him a good home. The bulbs were almost new ( maybe a month old0 when we took them down. Will they still be good?

I dont know a reason for them to be bad if they only ran a month. I dont know if it would help much or not, but it would be worth a try anyway.

Nu2Reefs said:
Ok, I checked with the lfs and they don't want to take him back. They are moving to a new location and trying to clean house before the move so to speak. I guess I can understand that. Anyway... I have an old set of regular florescent lights out in the garage with a 10,000k bulb and an actinic in each. No Idea on the watts but they are the big bulbs so not vho's or pc's. If I put one of those over the tank along with my pc's would that keep him happy until I can find him a good home. The bulbs were almost new ( maybe a month old0 when we took them down. Will they still be good?

How long are the bulbs?
You have a total of 4?

i don't know what your lighting situation is but whatever it is keep the pagoda as high and close to the lights as you can. that way at least it gets more light than way in the bottom of the tank.

Jeremy, yes there are a total of 4 bulbs 24" long but only two of them would fit over the side of the tank where the pagoda is and yes I have it as high as possible. (maybe 6" below the surface) Would it make any difference to put up the other two on the other side of the tank?

Thanks to all for the advice!! He is fully opened and grabbing bits of food when I feed the fish. Is this a good sign or is he reaching for the light?

if he is fully open and feeding then he will most likely be fine for now. I would suggest you upgrade your lighting or get a tank setup that will accomidate that lighting if you wish to keep him.

Back