Can you identify this tang?

fishcat

Reefing newb
Bought this tang yesterday and it was sold as an orange cheek tang but cannot find a similar picture on the net. It is silver/grey in body, yellow colour on top and fins and a blue colour on the bottom and a dark grey stripe behind the eye. I have attached a photo - hopefully. It would be great if you could help as I am concerned recieving the correct diet.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 501
Not 100% sure, but I think it might be a chocolate tang. There are a few others with similar markings, but facial structure is rounder on those, so I'm betting a chocolate. How big is it?

EDIT: Could also be an adult Acanthurus tristis - the tail shape is closer on this one than the chocolate, which has a rounder tail.

EDIT 2: For what its worth, here's my other guesses: Acanthurus nigricauda, Acanthurus bariene, adult Acanthurus dussumieri

EDIT 3: (lol, apparently I should have just waited to respond!) Upon further thought, I'm now thinking its the Acanthurus nigricauda, because of the dark stripe behind its eye. Google pics of these and let me know if any look like your tang! Also, keep in mind that coloring for several of these is different between juvenile and adult versions, and depending on tank lighting (the chocolate tang appears more orange under some lights and blue under others, and of course looks like the lemon peel angel as a juvi!)

Last edited:
Hi it is about 2.5 inches.

It seems to eat the shrimp brine but also nibbling on algee and does allot of sand sifting. Do you think it needs some algee sticks to support its diet?

Thanks guys for your help on this

I think I'd switch up your food a little bit. Flake food isn't the best option as it leads to water quality issues. Frozen food is good, but brine shrimp don't really provide the nutrition that fish need. Mysis or a combo food like marine cuisine or emerald entree is a better choice for frozen. Many of us keep a couple of different types of frozen food and rotate every few days. For tangs, you need to hang a sheet of dried nori at least a few times a week in addition to what you normally feed. You can hang it with a veggie clip or rubberband it to a rock. Both of your tangs will go crazy for it, and your other fish will likely eat it as well, though its not necessary for them like it is for the tangs.

Thanks for the advice I will get some different food. So do think regardless of the idetification of tang if I introduce the food you suggested this will be sufficient?

Yup, it should be fine regardless of type! And as far as identification, the only reasons it would be important is to make sure you have enough space for it as it gets larger (some acanthurus tangs need 250g tanks, others can manage in a 70g tank, most need around a 125-180g tank). I know for sure that it is an acanthurus type tang - so if you add any more tangs to your tank just make sure it isn't an acanthurus or they will duke it out with each other!

Back