Candelabrum fritchmanii ? Anybody?

FlightLevel330

Reefing newb
Let me start by saying hi, I'm quite new to this hobby and I'm loving it. I have recently observed extremely long, fine hair like things coming out of a live rock. The almost worm like tentacles were capable of retracting quickly and expanding to other rocks. Kind of hard to describe. The tentacles are opaque and "feel around" the surface like worms. I have found limited information, apparently it's a Candelabrum fritchmanii ..a new species of some sort. Are they harmful and has anybody had experience with these things? Thanks!!

I don't know what that scientific name is (I've never heard of it), but they sound like spaghetti worms to me. Spaghetti worms are extremely common hitch hikers and are found in nearly every tank on the rock and in the sand. Google them and look at some pics. Is that what you saw?

Welcome to the site! How long have you had the anemones? Your lighting is not nearly strong enough to keep them if they are photosynthetic species. You will need something about 5 times stronger.

First of all, WOW thanks for a quick reply =). Well, your exactly right. This bugger is a spaghetti worm. Is he harmful to my setup? I can't believe the capabilities of it's tentacles, poking out through different holes in the live rock. . The Anemones are out of the Caribbean ocean somewhere near Trinidad, they came with the set up. They appear to be extremely healthy. Had them for about a year, they have grown nicely. However I don't think they'll have a problem eating a fish, but the fish have been smart, so far. Hehe.

Sounds like your anemones are not reef safe. I'd be more worried about them then spaghetti's. I have spaghetti's in my tank. They don't bother anything. I believe they feed on dead/dying particles. Not sure. Sometimes I suck a couple out during a water change to keep them in check.

Yes, spaghetti worms are reef safe, and like I said, very common. They can irritate some sensitive corals if their "feelers" are always out, but that doesn't happen very often.

Back