Canister filter?

Canister filter?

• Total voters

color_copies

Reefing newb
I have a 60 gallon tank that I have just set up about two weeks ago. My tank isn't set up for a sump, so I have everything hang on the back. I have also reused my Marineland C-360 canister filter as well for the tank, mainly for mechanical filtration, but I have some rocks and two bags of chemi pure. My question is do I really need the canister filter. It keeps blowing micro bubble into the tank and I don't like/want that. I'm not opposed to removing it and putting a powerhead or two in its place. What are your thoughts and opinions?

I have been using a RENA canister filter for 5 or 6 years on my tank, I have had different types of materials and in there, but for the past 3 years I have only been using live rock rubble in it. I like having a few extra gallons of water in my tank (its only 35g) along with some more flow. If you have a HOB skimmer then you don't "need" the canister filter. is there anyway you can change the flow rate of the filter so that it don't shoot bubbles.

also, how many powerheads are you running now?

I use a marineland canister and a skimmer for my 55. Also use 3 powerheads. This is for a work tank. Even when i go on vacation and the tank doesnt get its bi-weekly cleaning / water changing its still very clear with good water levels. I dont have any other mechanics in it except the heater. With the sand and the live rock its been healthy now for roughly 2 years.

Back