Canister Filtration

Dannyrb26

Reefing newb
i know u guys are against canisters cause of the nitrate factories they r but is it really a good idea to take out if i need the flow,matrix and phosphate removers in there as i dont have a sump?

There is nothig inherently wrong with canister filters. The only problem is that they tend to trap detritus and then nitrates build up. IF you were to clean the thing out every 3 days it would actually help your tank but most people get lazy and the canister becomes a problem.

I suggest keeping a canister filter around for emergencies, packed full of absorbing media for nitrate, ammonia, copper or whatever toxin. They can really be a life saver.

+1 sen :) It's just an extra step I have to worry about. But I know some members here have successfully used canister filters. But again, they clean it out regularly.

If you decide to get rid of using it except for runing carbon or anything, you have to take out the contents very very gradually over time, otherwise you'll cause an ammonia spike since you'll essentially be taking out the essential bacteria from the tank.

Back