Can't keep any invertebrates alive in my tank

cms

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gal reef tank with corals and one clownfish. Everything else seems to die in there. Parameters are good (I test the water regularly) other than the calcium having been a little high before, it has come down now. I've had 8 shrimp die along with a bunch of snails, I put in a sand sifting starfish a few days ago, and I haven't seen it for the last two days. Given the track record of this tank, I have to assume it's dead. Is it possible that there may be something in the rocks that's killing everything? About 6 months ago, the tank shut down due to a thunderstorm, everything died including 11 fish 8 or 9 corals, many snails, starfish; I had the tank drained and the rocks washed. Unfortunately, it took several weeks since I was out of the country when this happened. They did do a partial water change and took out whatever they could while I was gone, but not until I got back did I have the tank drained. My question is, is it possible that there may be something in the rocks, maybe they are saturated with something, that may be killing whatever eats off the rocks? Somebody suggested there may be some kind of predator in there, but I haven't seen anything. Any ideas?

Check for stray voltage -- inverts are usually the most susceptible.

Identifying, Locating and Curing Stray Voltage in a Saltwater Aquarium

As for the sandsifting star, they usually starve to death pretty quickly in captivity. They shouldn't be kept in tanks unless they are very large and mature with lots of microfauna living in the sandbed.

Thanks, never knew that, I will check...given that my equipment suffered a pretty substantial jolt (I was lucky I only had to replace the light fixture), I may have a faulty piece of equipment...it's worth a try

Back