Captive-raised stock? What's all out there?

Reefkeepr

Reefing newb
I am setting up my second tank...72g with 150 lbs of my very own aragocrete rock (made 2 months ago and curing in a kiddie pool ever since). I have a 6-bulb t5 setup, skimmer, etc and am looking to teach my kids a valuable lesson by only (with the probable exception of my clean-up crew) using captive-bred/reared fish and inverts.

A lot has changed (for the better!) since I set up my first tank a decade ago and even though I have been proceeding slowly and reading up on everything, I am not sure if I am aware of all of the captivity bred/reared stock species that are out there (both fish and inverts).

I will be cycling my tank and then seeding my aragocrete rock with Garf grung in the next month or so. After I have that finished I will be adding my cleanup crew and the real fun begins!

I want to teach my kids that one can enjoy this hobby while still having a very small footprint in terms of impact on our wild reefs. Obviously I plan to get my hands on some dragged coral and a few clownfish, but what other captive bred/reared critters are out there?

I look forward to seeing your replies! Thanks in advance!

p.S - my RO/DI filter is churning out the water for my tank tonight...yippeeeeee!

Here's a company that captive breeds fish, corals, and inverts. You can't order directly from them, you'll have to order from a retailer but, it should give you a good idea of things you can get captive bred.
ORA | PRODUCTS

Pteraprogon kaudermi a.k.a. Banggai Cardinalfish can be gotten as tank raised I have a breeding pair of them, they are also quite easy to breed as they are mouth brooding spawners. The male will keep the eggs and then the young Banggai in his mouth for about 18-21 days ( move dad to separate 10g around day 18) when they are released (remove dad once fry are released) they are able to eat newly hatched Artemia ( brine shrimp ). From there mix in Cyclopeze slowly reducing the amount of live brine over four or five days, until they are eating only Cyclopeze then you can start mixing in some flake. once the Banggai are around 1/2in to 3/4in or so they can take regular frozen foods but as before mix it in slowly. Once they are about an inch you can take them to your LFS and more than likely they will be happy to give you store credit for them. Also a really neat thing for the kids to be apart of my 6yo loves to help with the baby fish, I also have tomato clown fry almost three weeks old now a lot harder to raise, but should be ready for sale when your tank is up if you are interested send me a PM

Back