Casey and Sarah's brand new tank!

Thanks NanoReefer. I might try and shoot some video of it tonight and put it up online. I am at work so this is all coming from my wife at home who seems to be glued to the tank right now (better than the TV!). I am really hoping he will get along with the tangs. NanoReefer, do you have any tank build threads? I would love to see some of your tanks!

Casey

Ok let's try this. If this works, you guys are about to get a bunch of pictures!

untitled_untitledshoot_114.jpg

Here they are!!! FTS!!!!!!!

Our Blue Damsel, His name is Blue
untitled_untitledshoot_104.jpg

Our only coral. Some sort of brain, he was a hitchhiker.
untitled_untitledshoot_101.jpg

A piece of dead SPS. My goal it to grow one this big!
untitled_untitledshoot_75.jpg

I like this snail
untitled_untitledshoot_156.jpg

Our clarkii clow, His name is Herbert
untitled_untitledshoot_205.jpg

Our skimmer from Reef Dynamics. This thing ROCKS
untitled_untitledshoot_85.jpg

And a full FTS. Hope you all enjoy!
untitled_untitledshoot_89.jpg

Woke up this morning to a lot of algae. Hopefully my snails get one it! I'm guessing I'm just seeing the natural start-up algae bloom. Going to try and get some more powerheads to increase flow on the sand bed.

Casey

Well, we got our yellow tang today! He is drip acclimating right now so we will put him in the tank soon! Sarah insisted we name him Kitty (don't ask why I have no idea). Pictures to come tomorrow. I hope our damsels dont bully him but he is at least twice their size so I am hoping he will do just fine! Also got a mexican turbo snail to help eat glass algae. What a great day at the LFS!

Casey and Sarah

Yellow tangs are tough fish. They normally don't let anyone push them around. :)
When I looked at him yesterday, he seemed to be doing fine! He was a little stressed but everybody seemed to be getting along! We are going to give the tank 2 more weeks to go through its mini cycle and then we are hoping to add the Kole Yellow Eye. I think we are going to skip getting the tomini tang. I would much rather have a few fish and have them happy than over-stock it. So it looks like the final stock list fish wise will be

1 blue devil damsel
1 domino damsel
1 clarkii clownfish
1 yellow tang
1 kole yellow eye tang
1 fairy wrasse
1 flame angel
2 long spined urchins
2-3 cleaner shrimp

What do you guys think? Am I pushing my limits in a 90 gal tank? I really want a happy, healthy tank! My skimmer is rated up to 250 gal and right now there is only one piece of brain coral but I would like to do lots of SPS in the future. Please let me know what you think!

Casey and Sarah

I think the long spined urchins (especially two) are perhaps unreasonable for the long term. I had a long spine in my 90, and it was big enough to touch both sides of the tank if it was in the middle. They really need more space than that, IMO. I had to return mine to the LFS. Check out the short spine, tuxedo and halloween urchins instead.

Thanks Bifferwine. They were a rescue from a friend of mine who wasn't into the hobby and more and so I took them off his hands. If they become a problem or look like they are having a hard time we will find a new home for them or it's possible we will upgrade to something larger in the next year or so (like a 220 or a custom 350). Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a pic of our new Yellow Tang! He is still a little shy and a little stressed but he is doing great!

IMG_3511.jpg

Started working on my algae scrubber last night. It will have to be smaller than I would like it but the pump I have for it should pump out 750+ gph. I'm hoping with some added flow I can make up for having to make it smallish (7"x11" out of the water) and only lit on one side (can't fit two lights under my tank). I'll put up some pictures when I get it finished.

Back