Catherine's Bowfront Rebuild

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Since my 55 gallon suffered 2 near-fatal crashes over the summer, I decided it's hexed and I'm emptying it. I lost a couple ponies in the process and picked up some insidious red slime. Yuck. My 28 gallon Bowfront is still set up but not doing much so I'm rebuilding it. Monday, I moved the tank into my atrium area. I've got some nice rock, sand and a ton of caulerpa in there. Also, there is a firefish that hides all the time and a very cool fish that I haven't been able to identify. The unidentified fish is some sort of blenny and came as a hitchhiker with my last Tampa Bay Saltwater Order. I tried, and failed, to catch him when I moved the tank. I moved my Reidi, Phoenix, in there yesterday and he's loving all the macro but he's looking lonely. Friday, I'm getting a shipment of 2 erectus and 1 reidi (I hope) from Seahorse.com and a shipment from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I've got a lot of obstacles in front of me with this tank, I've got no sump and currently, no plans for a sump. My bioload is wickedly high and I need to get that blenny outta there. Also, my CUC is very weak, just a few snails and hermits. Water flow is not where it needs to be..... I'll take a few pics this afternoon. Oy, lots to do!

C

What no pictures yet????

Yeah, I just threw everything back in and because I don't have a sump, I've got this little sponge filter and a thing full of charcoal and rock hanging on the side. You get the idea:

5143092705_96bcee716d_z.jpg

In this pic, you can kind of see the atrium area behind the tank, I'll shoot better when I've got all the stuff in it Friday.

5143698652_b6163e1446_z.jpg

Thanks, Smitty. You know more than any of us what it's like to rebuild. Your tank is looking awesome so I'll keep going.

C

Waiting, waiting, waiting......

I've got 3 shipments coming in today. First, I've ordered a bunch of amphipods, snails, bacteria, sargassum and clams from IPSF. IPSF is my very favorite place for helping develop an active and healthy sandbed. I put this order in on Sunday thinking I would get it on Wednesday. Second shipment is from Ocean Rider. I've got 3 horses, Vibrance (food enrichment) and Red Shrimp ordered from them. I put in the order with Ocean Rider and I was hoping I would get the horses next Wednesday or Thursday. The third order is from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I've ordered from Richard before and I know it usually takes a couple weeks with him because he's got to get his boat out, diving gear, drive out to the farm... Everything is coming in today. After freaking out all day yesterday, I've gotten a few things ready. Oy.

IPSF: The IPSF order is pretty easy because it's mostly sandbed stuff. The sargassum and a few snails are for my dwarf tank so I'll set that up in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and nano koralia 'till the dwarf tank is done cycling. I got a double order of amphipods. One order is going into an amphipod farm (aka: 5 gallon bucket) the other order is going into my bow along with the bacteria and the clams.

Ocean Rider: This order is very, very special to me. When I lost my favorite pony, Pegasus over the summer I decided I would get rid of all my H. erectus and just get H. reidi. I gave my ponies to a friend except my one reidi, Phoenix and then moved him into the bow. He was looking very lonely and I was desperately searching for a reidi girl for him. Seahorse Source only has h. ingens and h abdominalus (wow was I tempted) they didn't even have h. erectus. Ocean Rider only has h. erectus right now. There is a lot of controversy about mixing horse species in the same tank. My opinion is generally that it shouldn't be done as most horses have different needs. The h. erectus and the h. reidi are both Atlantic species with overlapping territories. Phoenix last mate was Pegs who was an h.erectus and since I couldn't find any reidi anywhere I decided to go with h. erectus. I've got 3 ordered a mated pair that is black and one yellow female. The yellow will probably change to black once I get her in the bow because it has a black background but that's ok. I love their personalities not their looks so much. The other thing coming from Ocean Rider is their red shrimp. I have been wanting to farm their red shrimp for a year or so and they are sooooo expensive I've always put it off. I've got 25 coming in. For them, I've got a 10 gallon set up with some rock and sand that I've been cycling since June. Salinity is 1.014, temp 78. I really hope I can keep these bugs alive and get them breeding! I'll be paying a lot of attention to that tank. I'm thinking about getting another Deco just for them. I also debated a long time as to whether I should QT my new erectus or just put them in my bow. I decided to QT. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an airstone, some sand and a bunch of plastic plants I got from my husband and daughter when they first gave me my bow. They were still in their plastic packages, ha. Anyway, I added them so they will have something to 'hitch' on to. I'll put in some amphipods and maybe a couple red shrimp when they get here.

Lastly, Tampa Bay Saltwater: I am totally NOT ready for this shipment! I've got a bunch of gorgs and sponges ordered. My plan was to clean all the red slime and aiptasia out of my 55 and put them in there so I could frag them for my bow and the Deco Dwarf tank. The 55 has not been cleaned out yet and I don't want to put anything in there. I think I'll try to fit as many of the sponges into my bow as I can and put the gorgs in some buckets 'till I can clean out the 55, which will be Sunday as I've got performances all day tomorrow. Richard claims his stuff will stay alive as packed for a few days but I don't want to keep them in there any longer than I have to. Gosh, I'm gonna have buckets all over the place!

Took all this time to type this and the FedEx guy STILL isn't here :( Wish me luck!

C

I can't take pics yet as everything is foggy. I'm very happy with these horses, they look very, very different than any of my other horses and I kind of needed that. One female is bright yellow, one female is redish brown and the male is blackish. I've decided to choose Hawaiian names for them. Right now, they're called, Yellow, Red and Boy. I'll post pics soon. Yellow is acting very stressed and swimming like crazy all over the place, I hope she settles down soon. I've got them in a dark spot so hopefully they will go to sleep.

C

Got a couple pics:

Here's my seahorse QT. You can see Yellow, she's still swimming all around. The other two are hitched down near the bottom of the tank, hunting.

5149626576_380294b2db_z.jpg

Here is a FTS. It's a bit cloudy because I just added some mud, snails and such. If you look very closely, you can see Phoenix hitched to the ribbon gorg in the middle. The unidentified fish is in the macro to the right.

5149020595_8ed71acb56_z.jpg

Now, to clean the 55 before my shipment comes in tonight.....

I know, right? No color editing, that's how yellow she is! I've got a big yellow sponge coming tonight, I'll put it in my bow and maybe she'll stay yellow. I hope she settles down soon.

C

Just fed them, Yellow, Kalea (kah lee ah), Hawaiian for bright, is eating well, she scarfed up 3 mysis shrimps. The other two are down near the bottom of the bucket. One looks very lethargic. I can't tell if it is Red or Boy. I'll keep an eye on them. Wow, are they cute!

C

Liked the very authentic Hawaiian names there. Yellow, red and boy. Boy sounds so Hawaiian:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:. But cool new additions.

I was up pretty late last night taking care of my TBS order. I'm shocked to say I'm disappointed with this order. TBS is so awesome, maybe I'm just spoiled? All of my sponge bags had a good bit of air in them. It is surprising. The gorgs look ok so far. I got no cool hitchhikers and the stuff is significantly smaller than last time I ordered. Everyone can have an off day. I haven't contacted Richard yet and I'm sure everything will be ok in the end.

Pics of the new stuff once everyone opens up for the day.

C

Back