Chaetomorpha Algae lighting

gridlock

Reefing newb
Does chaetomorpha need a dark period? What's the best spectrum for chaetomorpha, and how much watts does it require per gallon?

There are two schools of thought on this issue. one is to run lights 24/7 and the other to to run it oppsite your tank lighting so when the tank lighting is on, the refuge lights are off and when tank lights are off refuge lights on. My opinion is that the best way to do this is the opposite lighting period. and you can overlap um one hour on each end of your main light photoperiod.

For my chaeto (which is in my refugium) I have a cheapo fluorescent 35 watt... You know one of those strip lights that comes with the tank when you buy it? It may not be ideal, but my cheato grows fine, and I don't keep anything in my refugium except for the macro algae. I don't think the chaeto has very specific lighting requirements, mine pretty much grows in anything.

I highly recomend the oposited lighting as stated above when the lights are off you have more co2 in your tank as opposed to when there on so if your running your ligthing 12 on refugium and 12 on tank thats 24 hrs of light thus producing a reduction in co2 and influxuation of oxygen just a thought though. Hope it helps.

I also like to run my fuge on an opposite light cycle from the main tank. among the bennifits listed above, it will help to stabilize the PH in the tank. However for Calurpa Sp. i would reccomend a 24hr light cycle to help prevent the calurpa from going sexual. you could get light at Home Depot for the fuge. cheato dosn't need special lighting.

Back