Chaetomorpha

algy1943

Reefing newb
I cannot get the Chaeto that I keep purchasing to stay alive, it's on top of my live rock in the fuge, it is illuminated from 11pm to 8am with a 100w lamp and it just keeps dying , any suggestions :frustrat:

What is the kelvin rating of your bulb? They do best under 5000-6500K. And if you always have low nitrates, it may very well just be starving.

I would switch to a CFL lamp. The 100 watt lamp might be giving off too much heat. The CFL will run cooler. +1 to gretch about the temp too.

Oooh yeah, good point about the heat. I was just thinking he was using a CFL 100w equivalent. So if you aren't using a CFL, it would be good to switch.

I use a cfl equivalent bulb and I have to half mine every three weeks or so. I have never tried a incandescent before. When I first started running a fuge i was using a pc light...think it was 24 watt white blue thing, chaeto would just crumble.

I was using a 74 watt regular bulb before and my chaeto was spliting all over the place, about a week or 2 back i went to wallmart and got a powersaver light bulb thats said 6500 k on the back and ever since i started using that light my chaeto is no longer splitting and my nitrates have gone down.

I am using a CFL 20w equal to 100w and has a kelvin rating of 2700 and it is on for 10 hrs my latest batch has almost disappeared think I have a lost cause with Chaeto :frustrat:

They do best under 5000-6500K. See if your store has a different rating on the bulb.

Defenetly the wrong light, Trust me i just went thru this issue, like i said before, after i switched from a regular Power saving light to the one that actually said 6500k it turned everything around in my refugium. Chaeto growing like crazy.

Back