Changed my substrate...

michelle

Reefing newb
Hey guys,
So I finally changed my substarte overr from gravel to argonite sand yesterday.
The water is still slightly cloudy, which I expected it would be for a day, but, my powerhead seems to kick up the sand no matter where I aim it which is causing the cloud and I now have a million little microbubbles in there all the time that wasn't there with the gravel. I am assuming its just trapped air in the sand, but, is it normal to have constant bubbles 24 hours later?
Thanks guys! I have to say you have all been a great help. I feel like i am going in the right direction with my tank.
Oh also, I hope to add some more cleaner crew in the next day or so. Either a cleaner shrimp, 5 more astrea snails (3 of my previous ones fell onto their back behind rocks without my noticing.(How DO they survive in the ocean?) or maybe a larger snail...Queen conch? Don't know much about those yet though...any info appreciated!
Thanks all!!

those bubbles are pretty much normal when you add sand to tank filled with water.Its just air thats trapped in the sand.

Astrea snails dont live on the reefs in the wild.They live in the sea grass beds.So they have plenty of hard surface to grab onto to flip themselves over.

Conchs are great for a reef tank.But they tend to stay in the sand bed.

Thanks,
I didn't realize I had posted in the introduction forum. Sorry. So i guess the air bubbles will subside in a couple days?

Like Yote said,its just trapped air pockets.Once you get some sand sifting snails like nassarius they should subside.

Wait to make sure changing out the substrate doesn't cause a small cycle.If not or when the cycle is over add any snails to take care of the algae you have.Astreas,trochus for film algae,turbos for hair algae and nassarius and queen conchs to clean/stir the sand bed.

Back