Checking out a used tank

NGuay

Reefing newb
So a colleague of mine saw me looking at saltwater site and he asked if I had a tank. He said a friend of his, who came into some trouble, owes him some money and he is taking, with permission, one of his saltwater tanks. The person seemed well to do and had 5 or 6 large saltwater tanks and even kept some decent sized sharks. He is supposedly going to give me the tank for next to nothing and this includes all the equipment.

Here is the catch, the guy I work with is a salesman, so who knows what next to nothing is really going to mean in the end. This friend whose house we are stopping at to look at the fish tank let everything die including all his corals and fish by not maintaining them. Is there anything I won't be able to clean off?

What should I be looking at to examine the quality of tank/equipment? Are there any signs that should be a big no, other than cracks? Also, how much of the retail price should I be willing to spend? I'm thinking I'll give him, at most 20% ,and that depends on the equipment. I don't like buying stuff used and I don't like selling things I own as I'd rather just give it to someone who can use it, so unless I get a killer deal it will be hard to take it.

you will be able to clean up any dead stuff and use lime off for any salt creep after cleaning just rise well with water and dry then start setup. you did not say if it was acrylic or glass or the size, but if you can get a buy at 20% then thats a smoking deal worth considering, if the equipemtn is very nice like new top dollar is 50% on the aquaium and 25% on equipemnt. just my thought. good luck.

I'm not sure of the exact size or type. From the sounds of it anywhere between 90 to 150 gallons. I hear it includes stand, lights, skimmer, filter, pump, and the rest. Not sure any exacts but will be going there to look at it this week. I was reluctant to go big and even thought of moving my plan down to a 46 gallon, but if it ends up being the steal it seems to be(the next to nothing) I'll make up for the cost of the living items in equipment savings.

The situation is somewhat sketchy. I feel bad for the guy and don't want to take advantage of him although I don't know him, but he already killed off everything in the tank so I'm over it.

The bigger the tank the better. More water volume means less harsh swings in things like nitrites, phosphates ect.

cut the best deal you can get if equipemnt is in good shape and dont look back. just my thought. good luck. you will deffinitely like bigger once set up and running.

Back