Chiller and sump

mabbus

Reefing newb
Hi all,

I have kept freshwater for a while now, and did have a marine set-up for a short period many years ago. However I have decided to move back into marine, but have a questioning regarding set-up.

Below is a list of what I have (after donating most to my daughters set-up)

Tank (48W 18H 15D) approx 200L. The tank has a wet/dry filter system at the back of the unit.

Hailea Chiller: HC-250A

Weipro SA2011 Protein Skimmer:

Resun s2000: ZooCentras.lt • Resun - S-2000, Panardinamas vandens siurblys 2000 l/val • Cirkuliacines pompos (for chiller)

Resun: s1500: ZooCentras.lt • Resun - S-1500, Panardinamas vandens siurblys 1500 l/val • Cirkuliacines pompos (for skimmer)

Resun RP-1000: Resun RP-1000 Submersible Pump 1000L/Hr [RP-1000] : Shanghai DryGoods, Worldwide Aquarium&Pond Supplies (pump that came with the unit to work with wet/dry)

The skimmer is a hang-on or a sump, I am looking to use it in a sump, so I can remove clutter from the tank itself.

So my plan is to have an overflow which goes to a 3 part sump (skimmer in the middle section) and the the final section pump the water back to the tank. So my question is, which part of this circuit would the chiller fit in? would it be the final section of the sump, so instead of to the tank direct, it passes through the chiller then into the tank?

The chiller also says "[FONT=&quot]For sea water, it must be filtered before arriving at the chiller, or the evaporator will be dirty and this will affect the refrigeration[/FONT]" So would a sump be considered as filtered enough to pass through the chiller, or would I have to place another filter in the circuit.

Thanks for any help/advice you have

Peter

Hi Peter, and welcome to the site. Lot's of good people here, with lots of answers and good advice.

So let's start with the Canister Filter, ditch that thing brother. Unless you are constantly cleaning it, it will cause you more problems than you know. If you are running a sump, there is no need for a canister filter to run.

Your chiller. Looking at the pumps you have picked out, I would switch them. The chiller is rated for 600-2200 l/h. You will want to stay closer to the middle of that to ensure efficient cooling of the water. Too much flow through the chiller will not allow it to cool the water properly. Also, if you have a filter sock on your sump then that is good enough as far as the filtering goes. Most chillers like that have an internal filter as well. You may want to pick up yet a third pump to operate the chiller. I would pull the water from the sump area, and return it back to the chamber that houses your main return pump rather than straight back to the tank.

Hello and Welcome!

Fast has you covered, but you probably wont need a chiller anyways. Just clip a desk fan on the tank, evaporative cooling is amazing.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Sorry for the delay, I'm in the process of moving house.

fastrd400: So you suggest not to use a skimmer at all? And am I right in thinking, that instead of pumping the water from chamber 3 to the tank, I pull the water from chamber 2 and pump to chamber 3 and then have another pump to return to the tank?

little_fish: The reason for the chiller is that I moved from the UK to Borneo for a few years, the weather here is high in humidity and unless you run air con units 24/7 the temperature in the house gets incredibly hot. I have freshwater fish in a 4ft tank, no heater and with the aircons on, the water stays at 80f

Thanks for taking the time

80 degrees will be fine for a FOWLR tank. I actually ran mine at 82 and would go to 84 with lights on for two years due to some craziness in my life and noone died. I since have fixed it and keep it at 80 to keep electric bill down. A good protein skimmer is a must! Welcome back to the hobby!

Back