Chiller confusion

Hey! We have a CAN DO attitude! If you were living out of your car we'd find some way to make your tank work! :lol:

Okay maybe you have a very good and valid point. :(
Apparently she missed that episode of pimp my ride!

If your house gets up to 95 degrees a chiller won't work. If you read up on chillers most have a maximum working temperature of 95 degrees or less, IE if the air around them is that hot they will not function. You'll spend hundreds of dollars for nothing basically. Sorry to be bearer of bad news here, but I checked a couple of different chiller types and all said that had a max of 95 or less.
I think there is a very simple solution here that has been overlooked. Rather than spend the money on a massive chiller that as I implied above, will probably not bring you the results you desire, go get something like this: Frigidaire at Lowe's: 5,000-BTU Window Room Air Conditioner
then add this to your hood if you are using a hood:
Mechatronics 120x120x38mm Low Speed AC fan "UF12A12-BTSLR"
or this if you are not using a hood:
Holmes® Black Personal Clip Fan - Bed Bath & Beyond
you will be in great shape!

I too just noticed his other post about his dad not running AC so I don't think a fan blowing across the top of the tank is going to do a bit of good. :frustrat: The link above for the portable AC looks kinda cool or getting a chiller maybe trying to vent it outside is another option. But Bifferwine may have the best suggestion in saying that its just not practical to have a tank. Or maybe beg and plead your Dad to start turning on the AC.

Maybe offer up some cash for the electric bill, sadly if your like the college kids I know you likely don't have any spare cash to be offering up.

sorry guys ive been battling a leak (cracked bulkhead) for the past umpteen hours and havent gotten back to my post.
but i finally got that solved.

but anyway. i havent gotten a chance to read all the posts. but i used a fan the latter part of the summer while my tank was cycling with just LR and live sand. and it kept it about 85 even when the temp out got 100 with.

i was thinking about getting a chiller over-rated for about 150 gal and getting one as effecient as possible.

okay after reading all your posts.

okay venting a chiller outside=no problem. there is a window literally 4 feet away

as for operating at 95. usually when it gets too awful hot he goes ahead and flips on the ac and justs lives with his migranes over my mother complaining. haha go mom(too bad i dont have that power.

my father already charges me extra money on top of what i give him for rent to pay the extra electric bill to run my fish tank.

btw i like dcans WE CAN attitude! besides! its freaking sweet!

and to my luck my work pays every lick of my schooling so i dont have to worry about that. thank goodness

Back