Chromis! First Fish!

Very true Fishy, and that one is pretty outdated..this one is from 1993..Still pretty old. And while it did say that there is much more research to be done which I believe and think that this forum should start a research company cause it would be cool, the evidence is there...I mean you have sturgeon for example that are only a few feet long in some areas...Then in Alaska they are catching some in the ranges of 8-12 feet long. Some of the old stuff may be going out the window, but in large bodies of water with a substantial amounts of food, I could see this still being true...And I dont want to try and seem like I know everything, because obviously I don't, these are just from things I've seen and read. I'm sure there are way more things out there and I would love to read those too..Always love learning more. Even when it proves me wrong.

I think they are different species, hence the different growth

If this was true, Bifferwine would have the largest coral beauty the world has ever seen, she has had that fish for almost 10 years, and its still at a normal size even though Im sure its been fed very well for the past 10 years.

This can be seen with the members who have had fish for long periods of time, none of them have over sized fish.

I think that could be due to the size of the tank. I've read in a few places that fish will grow if given the room to due so.It would be interesting to see a study done that way..take the same fish put them different size tanks and see what happens..Thus is our awesome world of fish and the ocean and lakes. It still amazes me that over I think it was 45% of the ocean is still unseen and investigated. Really is cool

I must have midget fish. I have half a dozen or so that are at least 10 years old, and they have stayed small. :D I started with a 55 gallon tank, then had a 240 for several years, and have had a 90 for the last 3 years or so. So I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply constrained by the tank size. I have seen damsels in the wild (scuba diving) that are 2 feet long. So they do get very large in the wild -- much larger than anyone in the hobby could keep.

Back