Clarkii Clown Meanie!

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
So, I introduced a pair of Clarkii Clowns along with a black/white damsel and a blue green Chromis all at the same time this morning in my 155g.

They are the first inhabitants.

At first, the 2 clowns seemed to follow each other around, through the rock, and seemed like pals.

6 hours later, the slightly larger of the two will swim 6 FEET across the tank to pick on the smaller clown. There's no contact between the two but the smaller one gets chased around the tank from side to side.

The larger Clown does the same to the tiny damsel, but not the Chromis. Probably because the Chromis spends most of it's time in the upper column of the tank.

I didn't know if this was normal behavior, an attempt to establish dominance, or it's just coo-coo?

Wonder if he would behave this way if he was no longer the largest fish in the tank?

The clowns are sorting out who is going to be male and female, this is normal behavior for them. As long as its not out of control, i wouldnt worry about it.

Also adding 4 fish at once to a new tank is really not a good idea, you might be able to get away with it in such a large tank but be aware you might cause a mini cycle.

I would also return the damsel, they are pretty evil fish and once he gets established he is going to be the bane of the tank, terrorizing everything and especially any new fish you try and add.

Wow, ok. Thanks for the advice about the Clowns. He was making me pretty angry with the attitude.

The damsel is the smallest, cutest little black n white fish ever. :o(

He swims in and out of the rocks and doesnt seem to mind any of the 3 other fishes and he seems kind of shy. I am sad I may have to return him. Boo-Hoo-Hoo. No fair, No fair!!

Back