possible issue with Picasso clowns?

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
I have had this pair (so I thought) for 3 months, I had them in a 30g and at the beginning of last month set up my 75G where they are now.

The bigger clown has been non stop chasing the smaller one around ever since I got them...I know they need to establish who is the dominant female but 3 months worth? the bigger one is twice the size but is relentless towards the smaller one, could it be possible that they are both female?

never had two clowns go at it for this long

They also never swim together, or sleep together...The little one has not submitted aka twitched with the bigger one since I got them or at least I haven't seen it

When you got them, were both the same size or not? Because if not, it could be that you are right, and maybe they are both females. Maybe they have both turned female already.

no the larger one was about 1/2 inch bigger
Even though, the small one should have turned into a male by now. Maybe you have a tough one that won't let go easily. I hope the large female doesn't kill the small. My female didn't chase the male too much or for too long. They both swim and sleep together and even when sometimes they fight, the male always surrender.

Even though, the small one should have turned into a male by now. Maybe you have a tough one that won't let go easily. I hope the large female doesn't kill the small. My female didn't chase the male too much or for too long. They both swim and sleep together and even when sometimes they fight, the male always surrender.
Just for future reference all clownfish are born male;)

Marinne,
How big are the clowns now? I have seen it take longer than it is taking yours for the male to submit. I have also seen it happen really quickly. Watch the aggression as only you know your fish and if it seems it is not getting better I would pull the mean one and try a smaller one than the one you will have left.

Back