clean up crew

VPOOL13

noob at best
what is the best clean up crew for sand?
i have brown algae growing on the sand. i do a water change every week.
all levels are in normal. lights are on 9 hours.

They tend to eat all the beneficial microfuana in the sand and then slowly starve. But in a large tank (like you have) there is plenty of sand for them to browse through so there is always enough for them to eat and not wipe everything out

Some of the sand sifting gobies will help with the sand bed too.Just be aware that most are jumpers and some will spread sand everywhere.

BTW
I'm gonna move this to the New to Reefing forum.

Some of the sand sifting gobies will help with the sand bed too.Just be aware that most are jumpers and some will spread sand everywhere.

BTW
I'm gonna move this to the New to Reefing forum.

I'm thinking about getting a sand sifting goby. Do you have to have the super fine sand for them?

Okay I think I'm okay then, since I have the regular live sand (not sure the size but it's not too big like anywhere near crushed coral). Thanks for the recommendations.

Just to give a little warning. I have a Gold Head Sleeper Goby in my 36g tank and he makes a mess of the place. Piles of sand everywhere and sand on my corals that I have to blow off every few days. :frustrat: Other than that he's a really neat fish. And does a great job keeping the sand clean.

Just to give a little warning. I have a Gold Head Sleeper Goby in my 36g tank and he makes a mess of the place. Piles of sand everywhere and sand on my corals that I have to blow off every few days. :frustrat: Other than that he's a really neat fish. And does a great job keeping the sand clean.

Yeah, I've heard that. Sounds like some are worse than others with throwing the sand around. Pros and cons to many janitors...turbo snails are good but may knock your rocks down. Urchins are great but they carry stuff around your tank and eat your nice coralline algae along with the hair algae.

Yeah I got a messy sleeper goby. You can see his picture and the piles he made in the link to my 36g. My long spine urchins are good about not carrying things around, will on ocassion bump a piece of coral but not to bad. But they do eat up the algae and coraline that's for sure.

Back