cleaner shrimp

LimeTree

Reefing newb
Just got a new cleaner shrimp today :bounce:
10 gallon tank with 2 nemos :helm2:

made sure he stayed in bag for 30 mins so he could adjust to water temp :Cheers:

went to go make some coffee, :twocents:

came back and he was DEAD!!! :death: AFTER 2 HOURS :frustrat:

i cant believe this :grumble:

any ideas as to how he died? :question::shock::shock:

Temp acclimating is not the only way to acclimate animals, especially invertebrates. They need a drip acclimation process to succeed in your tank. I'm sorry he didn't make it. :(

Umm, did he molt in the bag or did you set him free in the tank? What up? Shrimp have been known to molt in transit....

I like to acclimate in the bag, floating in the tank and I add a little tank water to the bag over tlike two or more hours. This way they get both temp. and water conditions real slow.

This was my first invertebrate. After about 35 minutes i let him free in the water. The salinity he was used to must have been different than the salinity in my tank... this is my guess as to why he died

They need to be acclimated to three things: temperature, salinity and pH. Floating the bag like you did is fine for temperature, but to acclimate them to the new salinity and pH, you have to slowly add or drip your tank water into the bag. For inverts, this should be done over several hours.

I'm sure most people are stuck on acclimation methods but depending on your circumstances, an IV bag and a coat hanger to set it up on can do you wonders for drip acclimation. Of course I am on the lowest of budgets currently and using what I have available for the interest of science! If you want help with the set up just ask away...

Back