Cleaner Shrimp

italipinos8

Reefing newb
I think my cleaner shrimp has overstayed his welcome in my tank. Every single time i feed my candycanes and duncan coral he rips the food out of there mouths and they stayed closed for some time:frustrat:. No matter how much i feed him beforehand he still does this. He also sits on my leather coral the whole day:grumble:. Do all cleaner shrimp do this??? I was thinking i should trade him in for a smaller one (he is huge) or maybe for a fire shrimp.

Anybody know a fried shrimp recipe?? :shock:... jkjkjk

You could always try covering the corals with something like a tupperware container after you feed them that way they have time to eat before the shrimp steal from them.

A trade doesn't sound like a bad idea. Another option is to banish him to a fuge!

Here's a fried shrimp recipe.

Ingredients

• 4 pounds large shrimp - peeled and deveined
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Directions

1. In a medium size mixing bowl combine shrimp, salt and pepper; stir.
  2. Heat oil in a medium size saucepan. In another medium size mixing bowl stir together eggs, flour and baking powder. Dredge shrimp in egg mixture then fry in oil until they are golden.

Nutritional Information http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/deep-fried-shrimp/Detail.aspx#

Amount Per Serving Calories: 493 | Total Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 743mg

You could always try covering the corals with something like a tupperware container after you feed them that way they have time to eat before the shrimp steal from them.

I will give this a shot tomorrow. I fought him off for like an hour earlier and as soon as i thought the coral had it stuffed away he went straight to work:grumble:... very annoying

My cleaner does the exact same thing, so I have to scare him away with the tiny net when I feed the corals. I also think he stressed my clam out killing it cause he used to sit atop of it all the time.

Am I the only one who loves my cleaner shrimp? He isnt normally that bad when I feed my corals.

they are hit or miss with corals i always had mine in fish only setups.the little guys are less likely to go after corals.trade him at the lfs for 2 little ones.how long have you had him their life expectancy is usually 2-3 years

Have had him for about 2 weeks. He was in a big tank when I got him and didn't know he would be huge in my tank:o... Any special way to clean out a bottle??

i have a skunk and a fire in my tank. when i feed my corals i usually cut a little chunk of frozen food and feed the shrimp first. while they are distracted ill feed the corals..ill usually keep my hand in there just in case the shrimps finish quickly. if they do ill scare them away or make them focus on cleaning my hand..haha:bounce::bounce:

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!! My pep's ate my acans from the inside out!!!!!! Ive been nursing the acans back to health. I removed one pep by trapping but the other was to big to fit into the trap so unfortuantly when i get my new lights ima have to take out alot of LR to catch him and banish him to the mantis tank like i did the other one. The other one lasted 11 hrs in the mantis tank.....lil bass turd! And its not just my acans its anything i feed. Which is ALL my corals. I tried the krill thing and the dood ate 3 BIG pieces of krill and still wanted to eat off my brain coral, like WTF. His days are numbered let me tell you.....IF this 70 dollar acan frag didnt seem to be coming back since i put it in the mantis tank, id be in the reef right now digging that pep out. HE killed my blastos...pretty sure my sun coral isnt doing to well.....sorry and GL with yer trouble but i had to rant.

Just cut either a one litre or 2 litre soda or water bottle 1/2 - 1/3 from the top (depending on the size of the coral) . Wash it with tap water, that is fine. Place it over your coral you intend to feed (remember to throw away the cap). Using your turkey baster, eye dropper, baby medicine dropper you are now able to feed the coral through the bottle opening with out it being harrassed by any other tank inhabitants.

Fast that would take me all day to feed my tank and to e honest. The pep takes it out of their stomachs after they ate it. I've watch him do it. Hense my corals going to die

I do it all the time. I have a few bottles cut. I just leave them in place for a while. I have clowns that do the same thing. I place the bottle, feed the coral, wait about 20-30 minutes and remove them.

Back