Clearing up water?

damigs

Reefing newb
I have a question and need advise. I have recently added carbon to my filtration and it has done a wonderful job until now. Its been about a week since I added it and the water seems yellowish in tint. I do have a significant amout of diatoms/brown algea still on my rocks and notice that my white filter gets brown extremely fast now a days. What I do is replace the filter everyday and scrub the walls etc.

My water parameters are normal except for Phosphate which is .1 ppm I believe. Phosban has been added to system to bring this down

Has anyone used any type of water clarifier like Coralifes Marine Tank clarifier, etc? If so did it help or work?? Also is it okay to use with Carbon in the system or should I remove carbon?

Damig:

Do you use a protein skimmer?

What size is your tank? How many fish and what type? How many pounds of live rock?

My guess is you either need a protein skimmer or a bigger better one.

bv

Sorry to thread jack, but you are the man lol. The pantyhose worked like a charm. I also put my freshwater air pump in to add the slightest bit of top water movement lol, and shes ready for salt now.

bkv1997 said:
Damig:

Do you use a protein skimmer?

What size is your tank? How many fish and what type? How many pounds of live rock?

My guess is you either need a protein skimmer or a bigger better one.

bv

No protien skimmer.. I have an ecosystem under tank, 54 corner tank with 50 lb live rock. Im looking into a Nano reef skimmer so I can add to my sump. Being that its small enough to fit down there and may be small enough to let it run 24/7

Does any recommend marine clarifiers or changing out the carbon more frequent until water clears up?

Get a skimmer the best one you can afford and always run it 24/7.

Just my opinion. The only type filter that you can buy to instantly remove pollutants from the water column.

In the mean time you can change your carbon more frequently, but it won't take long before you will see that a skimmer would soon have been cheaper.
I hesitate to mention this but if you are extrememly careful and read up on it first you could also use Ozone.

Hey Robert, glad to hear the little ladies Pantyhose worked for you. HEHE.

BV

bkv1997 said:
I hesitate to mention this but if you are extrememly careful and read up on it first you could also use Ozone.

What exactly is 'Ozone?'.. Is this the same as a UV sterilizer?

Back