Cloudy Water

chrisfleet

Reefing newb
The past couple days the water in my aquarium has been going cloudy. Nothing has changed all levels are good. I have noticed purple spots starting to grow on the live rock. I have touched it and it is hard and after reading some other post think it may be coraline. What would be making the water go cloudy all of a sudden?

What are your parameters,in actual numbers?
What's in the tank fish wise?
How much and how often are you feeding?

Probably a bacteria bloom. But lets go ahead and cover all the bases just in case.

The salt level is at 1.025
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH - 7.4
Phosphate 2.0
Ammonia - 0

I have 7 snails, 1 clown fish, 2 brittle stars, and about 20 hermit crabs right now.

sounds like a bacterial bloom, i would do a water change and see it that keeps it away. I would also stop using the pellet food, they tend to provide more waste for the bacteria (and algae) to feed on.

Did you test your PH in the morning or evening? Or is that a typo?
Either way,test your PH again to be double sure. 7.4 is to low.And if it's right,your calcium could be falling out of solution,which will cause cloudy water.

Also test your alkalinity and calcium.

you sure can! Just be extra sure you do a water change when your turn the back on to remove the nutrients from the dying algae/bacteria bloom so you dont feed a return of the algae/bacteria stuff

I think it is algae too. I turned the light on for a bit to feed my clown and the water looks worse after having the light on for a bit. How do I fix this?

you have to remove the nutrients that the algae is feeding from. So do regular water changes, dont over feed and dont overstock on the fishies.

Many tanks go through this, so dont feel alone!

Back