Clown almost dead!!!!!

Right i know i do have a nitrate and phosphate test kits, but I haven't got the others. Now that my phos and Nitrates are down in my home tank I am successfully growing corals. I don't want to invest all this money, and have something terribly go wrong because i was too lazy to get the test kits. Thanks for the advise.

Is there anything I can do now to get rid of the ick in my 20 gallon now, or will water changes, be enough in about a month. WIth having soft corals in the tank that would be bad to raise the temp to kill the ick right?

I would get a complete kit that offers ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and PH those are all very key to many issues we face with saltwater.

I have never dealt with ich (knock on wood) but I dont believe it goes away really I think if the fish had it then you need to wait a few months before putting more in and you need to make sure they are healthy fish that are acclimated properly so that they are not stressed out which is what makes them susceptible to it.

Leave the tank empty of fish for at least two months. That will kill off any ich in it (ich requires a fish host to survive. No fish host = no ich). You can still keep inverts and corals in the tank, as ich does not use other animals as a host.

I wouldn't recommend raising the temperature. If you plan to keep your rock and inverts alive, you can't raise the temperature high enough to kill off the ich. Just wait a couple months before adding any fish -- that will ensure that the ich is gone.

Keep in mind that ich is often an opportunistic parasite, and it usually will only impact a fish that is already stressed and has a compromised immune system. The move to the new tank probably stressed the fish enough that ich was able to take hold and take over.

Even if you eradicate the ich from the tank by leaving it empty of fish (fallow), you still run the risk of harming/killing new fish additions from a spike in ammonia and nitrites when you add new livestock. Without an ammonia and nitrite test kit, you have no way of knowing if that is happening. Be sure to pick up those two tests before you add any more fish. If you see ammonia or nitrites, you will have to do emergency water changes to ensure the safety of the newly added fish.

Wow thanks for the advise. I was worried about how to get past this without disturbing the corals or inverts. I will pick up the test kits and follow this and my home tank a bit more closely.

Back