Clown fish behavior

silvaams

Reefing newb
I just added a pair of clown fish about a week ago now. The second day it was obvious which fish was the male and which was the female. They eat and swim all over the tank, 26 gallon. What I have noticed is at night they separate from one another. One stays at the top left hand corner of the tank and the other is in opposite corner at the top. Is this normal? Should I be concerned even though they act normal during the day?

You shouldn't be concerned. Sounds pretty normal to me. :) As long as they are eating and swimming normally, they're fine.

I had a pair that did the same thing. No worries. They're called clowns for a reason. You never know what kind of weird things they're going to do. :)

I have one small saddleback clown and a regular occelaris clown, who was a female when I bought her. She lived in my RBTA for about 2 months, then left it and would sleep near my water return, then my saddle back took over the anemone and has lived/slept in it ever since. Going on like 6 months now. Both are doing great, and don't ever bother eachother, then when night comes, they go their separate ways :P

Normal! Ive actually posted recently about my clowns.. The bigger (female) use to pick on the smaller (male) so much I was concerned.. He had big chunks missing out of his fins.. But he stood his ground and has finally done his little submissive dance, and they get along great. I added "Stress Guard" to the tank and my clown grew back his beat up fins in less than a week as well.

Back