clownfish are hiding in corner

My clownfish also seemed to have hosted my powerhead. They are alwayse in the back 1/2 of the tank unless they expect to be fed.

They hardly ever go down into the rocks or even hide. I would think that somthing was wrong with my water movement or powerhead placement if it wasen't for so many of the threads here showing similar behavior.

totally normal my 2 percs have hosted my powerheads since i got them and my 2 new saddles backs have joined them in the back of my tank under my powerhead

This is crazy. So many people have the same issue. I bet these fish wouldn't leave the corner even if I put a anemone in there.

Great thread! I'm new to the hobby and I just got my first addition, a little clownfish 2 days ago. I came home today to find him lying flat with the water line in the corner of the tank and I thought, nooooo he's going to FN Kark it!
I gave him a little food which he ate, so I felt a little better after that, then I found this thread! :bounce:
He's been pretty active tonight, but only in his little corner of the world I have created for him...

I got my Maroon and I grabbed the Leather he was hosting. I put them in my tank, the clown would only go near the leather after the lights went out. Then the Leather Molted (not sure what they call it when they close up for a week and loose a layer) and he stopped going near it. Clown began to host the smallest of rock crevices in my tank (all I see is his white strips when the blue lights are on at night). It just so happens that when I feed the food flows directly to him. Call him smart or dumb, but he now rarely moves more than 4-6" all day not even to feed.

At least my Leather has split and I have soemthing to look at from that purchase.

My clowns have started swimming half way across the tank , but they shoot straight back to the powerhead.
IMAG0464.jpg

Just finished cycling my tank and got two clowns to start with and I am having the same issue, one clown will explore the entire 120 gallon tank and the other stays in a corner. My tank splits my living room and dinning room and of course they want to stay on the dinning room side.
20131212_204243.jpg
20131215_225910.jpg
20131204_181629#1.jpg

Welcome to the site! Give them some time to adjust. They will become bolder especially when they learn your feeding pattern. Clowns are not free swimmers and generally stick to a safe zone which is why you can put clowns in smaller tanks. That is a nice setup, enjoy it!

It seemed to take my clowns the better part of a year to become adjusted to the tank. For the longest time after I got them they stuck to the powerhead or the back corners of the tank. Now they are everywhere, retreating to their hosted spots mainly at night.

Back