Clownfish feeding

clowntank

Reefing newb
Is it bad to feed a clownfish more than twice a day?
I feed mine at 11 am, and 6 pm. They are small so they are eating off of a frozen popsicle thing of shrimp and such..

They always seem to be looking for food, and I'm home enough to feed them 3-4 times.. I was considering this, because I hear the more you feed, the bigger they can grow? And my bigger clownfish seems to pick on the little fella for food.. I kinda want that to stop, cause they get along and pair up other than that. The little one has done his shake of submission and everything..

Is there any bad that could come from feeding more than twice a day? As long as they are eating it all of course..

The only bad that could come from it is an excess of waste due to overfeeding. You have to remember that food items will eventually rot and cause nitrates. Other than that my clown seems like he's always hungry too lol. I feed him 2-3 times a day.

Last edited:
Fish are always hungry.All they really do is eat.The more they eat,the more waste they produce.The waste produced,the fast water quality drops.

There's no harm in feeding them more often, but I doubt it's necessary. Thaw the frozen cube of food in a cup before putting it in your tank.

There's no harm in feeding them more often, but I doubt it's necessary. Thaw the frozen cube of food in a cup before putting it in your tank.

It actually says not to do that. It's a rod that you dip [the tip] in the water and shake it, then a cloud of bits fall off for the clowns.

I feed mine frozen mysis cubes twice a day but sometimes I skip a meal or two. I doubt they're starving. I melt a cube, soak it in some rodi, squeeze as much of the water off, then just store it in the fridge.

I've read some people say with clowns, it's best to keep a routine or they get "depressed", and some say random feeding is ok. Dunno. But I do know they're not starving....hehehe

No doubt his tank is well established, so the fish have lots of other sources of food. I need to feed more often since my tank is still establishing itself.

Back