clownfish lifespan

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Does anybody know the average life span of a clown? I saved a tomato clown from my LFS that was 13 years old!!! He is probably one of the biggest clowns I have seen. He is probably 5 inches long and 3 and half inches tall. The teeth on this guy are unbelievable and makes me scared just to put my hand in the tank now. Kind of sad but he kicked my baby maroon clown out of the anemone as soon as he was introduced to the tank. They get along and im hoping they will mate later on down the road. Hopefully he'll survive for a couple more years at least. His owner who had him for almost the whole 13 years had sold him to the LFS and he was so cheap I had to take him in. So like I said is he going to live that much longer? and is it possible he will mate with the other maroon. I didnt know since one was a maroon and the other a tomato. Sorry to rant but thanks for the help.

Oh and also was wondering if tomato's were a darkest maroon to a blackish color? All the other tomato's I have seen are more of an orange color with the 1 white stripe. He only has 1 white stripe but is very dark maroon almost black and his eyes are maroon. Thanks!

I hear they live 20-30 years or even longer.Like most clowns tomato clowns darken as they mature.Females tend to be darker than males too.Cinnamon and tomato both have the single stripe.Cinnamon are orange/brown while tomatoes are more red/maroon.BTW,I don't think maroons and tomatoes will mate.

Reef has you covered. chances are, they won't mate. there is a better chance the maroon will get beat up so bad it dies. Every tomato I have had has been really aggressive to other fish, especially clowns

-Doc

Actually so far so good! Got up today and both clowns were side by side in the anemone together. The tomato has been good towards all the others, hopefully the old owner raised him around alot of other social fish and never kept him by his self. He almost acts like the maroon is either his mate or one of his babies. He tries to be gentle around him. I dont know anything can still happen just going to keep the fingers crossed.

I saw somewhere a guy had a pair that were 27 years old. he had an anemone for the first three and it died and he never got thrm a new one.

For me it's about 4 months and I have one for about 8. Yeah he's the old timer in the tank.LOL I don't know, but have heard up to 20 years and that is rare.

does anyone know where I can find some pics of fish with anemone stings? My new clown looks like it might have got stung. He stayed out of the anemone for like 4 hours today so im guessing when he went back he got stung. Also since he is new he might still be getting used to the anemone. Since he is real dark colored you can see the lighter color area where it looks stung. Just wanted to see other pics so I can compare. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Back