Clownies and Anemonies (sic)

usaeagle

Reefing newb
I have these two clown fish...they are small and very funny. (anyone who is British with small children will get the reference to Charlie and Lola here)

I also have an anemone, which moves around all over under the living rock, and to which neither clown pays the slightest attention.

How to get them to notice it?:sfish:

There is never a certainty that clowns will host an anemone. a reason why your clowns aren't hosting (my guess) is that the anemone is not too happy. Im sure the clowns realize this...

If your tank is only 4 months old, chances are the anem is stressed. They do best in mature tanks (atleat 1 year) with proper lighting.

What kind of light are you using?

+1 Game. if they start hosting that nem while it's stressed it will probably kill it. Once it settles in, they may in time take to it or they may forever ignore it. I would be more concerned right now about why the nem is always cruising. It's a sign that it is not happy. post some pics, water params and equip info so we can get a better idea of your set up.

A moving anemone = a sad anemone. When an anemone has everything it needs, it anchors to a rock and stays put. If it is missing something that it requires, it will try to move until it finds it.

Well, I have had my tank for more than four months now. It is a small setup. About 50 litres max. There is a protein skimmer and another filter, and a heater that I have barely turned on now, due to the extreme heat of our summer. Tank temp is still around 25-29 degrees though. The Anemone seems quite healthy. It is a beautiful white colour about an inch and a half wide when it opens up all the way. The torch coral is dead, but I left the skeleton in as a piece of living rock. Interestingly a couple of things have started to grow on the living rocks I have (about 2.5 kilos). They are a tiny white and a tiny red funnel shaped sort of thing. About 1/8 inch across right now. Too small to actually get a picture. I will try to post a pic of the anemone tomorrow, if he puts in an appearance.

I replace half of the water in the tank fortnightly, and I test the nitrates weekly. It is usually a dark orange when I do the water replacement. I use real ocean water purchased from my lfs.

First, I might suggest you add more LR. We usually aim for +/- 1/8kilo per litre so you could have 6 kilos in there or more. You really could even got to 9 or 10 kilos just depending on how you want your tank to look. The LR is the BEST form of filtration that there is in this hobby, so having the proper amount will be a big benefit to you. As far as the nem goes, they usually don't start to look unhealthy until it's too late and unfortunately, they die slowly. By the time they look bad, their flesh is often too week to handle and when you try to remove them they fall apart. It often leads to a complete tank crash. As stated above, if it is moving around the tank, that is natures way of telling you that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. It's either not getting enough light, or the parameters are too unstable. What kind of lights do you have? You said that your temps are between 25-29*... I'm not sure if you mean that they are changing that much, but if so, that is a problem. 4 degrees is too much variation and it will cause constant stress in your livestock. Your target temps should not exceed 25*min and 27*max but even more importantly, you should be focused on stability. On the Fahrenheit scale, 1/4* to 1/2* is about all that we let them move. In a small tank, temperature stability is probably the most difficult thing to maintain. I'd look at this and your lighting as possible sources of the problem. I'd also recommend that you start doing smaller water changes weekly as that will also help minimize parameter swings in your tank.

Lights...are a white flourescent tube and a UV (violet colored), about a foot long each. When I say that the temps are between those temps, I mean, when I look at the thermometer, it is about halfway between them and never moves.

The Anemone actually looks very healthy, I am not concerned about its health. I am just thinking it might be the wrong species for hosting. The Clownies are great.

Yesterday they were frantically spinning around each other. It was very funny.

There are several types of flourescent lights, so it's hard to guess what you have based only on that, but the fact that they are only 12" long makes me think they are probably standard flourescent bulbs which are not anywhere near strong enough for that nem. They are designed to light a fish-only tank. I realize that the nem looks healthy and that you didn't post here to get beat up about keeping a nem so forgive us for changing the subject of your post. It's obviously your decision on how to stock your tank. The reality is that I am speaking from experience and only want to help you avoid the same troubles that we see here over and over. As stated above, nems don't move if they're happy, since yours is moving around, you have a problem. If you choose to ignore it, the nem will die. Do a search for anemone on here. You will see post after post where someone argued that their nem was fine because their LFS promised them that it would be ok and within a matter of a few weeks that same user is on here posting about their nem dying and their tank crashing... I'm just trying to help you avoid that kind of frustration. If you can identify now what is making that nem unhappy, you can correct it before it's too late. Good luck! Either way, it's about a 50/50 shot that the clowns will ever host the nem but it definitely wont happen while the nem is on the move.

Absolutely thank you. What readings should I take in the tank to determine what is bothering him? I am not so stubborn not to take counsel from someone with more experience than I.

I agree that you have nowhere near the amount of light required to keep an anemone. Two fluorescent tubes wouldn't be sufficient. The fact that your anemone is white re-inforces that -- anemones are not naturally white, they become white when they are bleached due to insufficient lighting. A lot of people don't realize that anemones need stronger light than most corals do. They are very demanding animals to keep, and not recommended for reef tanks because of their potential to kill everything in the tank.

I'm not sure if watts/gallon applies in Australia, but anemones need around 10 watts of light per gallon of tank size. You have an approximately 15 gallon tank, so you'd need a light fixture of approximately 150 watts to keep an anemone. Each of those fluorescent tubes is probably 12 watts -- maybe 24 (again, I don't know for sure without knowing exactly the type of fluorescent light).

That said, there is no reason why clowns NEED an anemone, and vice versa. Clowns will live very happily without an anemone, and oftentimes, when people add anemones, the clowns never take to them anyways.

If you'd like to watch your clowns host in something, you could try hairy or frilly mushrooms. I've found that clowns LOVE them. And those corals are tough enough to withstand the beatings that the clowns give them!

Okay well thanks everyone. I have another issue. This morning when I came home from work, I discovered what I have worked out by searching the web to be a bristle worm in my tank. The research says they come out of the living rock, and some say they are good, some say not.

Opinions? Should I do anything about it?

I have to agree with the lighting. Looking at your anenome it doesnt look good. It`s bleached and is on it`s way down. A lighting upgrade is needed soon. It would have a brownish or tan color if it was doing good. As far as the bristle worm I leave them in my tank. They are great janitors.

As for the clowns, mine host my frogspawn and so far it hasn't bothered the coral any. I love watching them frolic in the coral. As for the worm, it's nothing to be concerned about. They are present in most reef tanks and are a great addition to the CUC. Just don't touch them with your fingers they have a sting like a bee.

Bristleworms are great cleaners -- they'll keep your rocks and sand clean, and clean up any uneaten food and fish poop. I guarantee you have tons of them in your tank and don't realize it yet!

Definitely leave the bristle worms in there.They are IMO,the best clean up animals you can have in your tank.
And Mikes right about your anemone,Its severely bleached,which means that its basically starving to death.BUT,With the right light and some TLC,it can be saved.
You'll just have to hand feed it daily until its color returns.And that could take several months.

Back