clowns

Lanzo

LAN
Hey forum!!!!:bounce:

I need some info about clowns,i have this pretty tomato clown (dark red)8cm long.I have two anemones BTA and a Florida.
Can i add any other clown to my tank???
Must i get a partner for my tomato??

if the tank is big enough and they are on opposite ends of the tank there should not be a problem. but it is very hard to predict a clownfishes behavior. they are a DAMNselfish technically and DAMNsels are a pretty aggressive family of fish.

man, i am on a roll ... beat Biff-moderator AGAIN !!

I wouldn't try to mix different species of clowns in the same tank. They usually do not get along. Your best bet is to get a second tomato clown. Get one that has as much of a size difference as possible. So if you have a really big tomato, your new clown should be very very small. The bigger the size difference between them, the more likely they are to get along. If they are similarly sized, they will fight for dominance.

Yip, i noticed that realy quickly after i added a banner to my DT(i got rid of my domino's and devil damsel).
My tank is 1.2m in length.
BTA in left end and florida at the right.
What kind of clown can i add if it's save?
Or must i get it a partner?

Two different species of clowns don't mix usually.I couldn't even do it in a 210 gallon tank.If your trying to get another tomato,you can try one that is larger or smaller than the one you have now.No guarantee it will work,clowns are aggressive and don't always pair off.

i would add a partner if it was my tank. my first post should have been more specific, sorry. i was just happy to beat Biff AGAIN !!

i was thinking what she wrote, but did not right it all out.

o.k, are there two kinds of tomato clowns or only 1?
Because my LFS has the light red ones and myne is dark red?
If i get the tomato a partner will they breed in my tank?

They are the same species, there is only one type. Usually the larger the clown gets (and is female), the darker its coloration becomes too.

It is unlikely that they will breed in your tank. They need specific conditions to breed, and even if they did, all your other fish and inverts would probably eat the babies. Clowns usually only successfully breed if they are kept alone with no other animals.

I don't know if it will be okay... Go as small as you can. I have a 2 1/2 inch tomato (around 8 cm long) and I bought a 3/4 inch one to go with it (around 2 cm). I tried to find the smallest one possible to minimize the chance that they would fight. And they get along fine.

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but on the topic of clowns...
Mine get along great, they are always at each others side and very rarely venture to opposite sides for more than 30 seconds. I got 2 falce percs 1 is about 2.25" and the other is about 1.5. I'm just wondering why mine arent territorial yet? Did i just get a gay bunch of clownfish that want to just get along with everyone and not claim a place to live? I think I saw the big clown go down the the rocks ONCE in the last month. they sleep at night floating in a random corner they pick once the lights go out... while my gramma and 6-line disappear into the rocks. Why is this? shouldnt they have picked a place to claim theirs yet? Maybe its good, and by the time my tanks ready I can get an anemone and they will first pick their home in it? My friend had a few bigger frogspawn colonies in his tank and his clowns host that, but im guessing mine is too small yet...

Cory,
Some clowns just never host anything for some reason.There like women,you never know what they will do.

Lol, I see. They are doing their usual floating wiggle dance in the front corner of the left side of the tank. The first few weeks they always slept in the right side, lately they moved to float/wiggling in the left side now. they are wierd. But holy crap, the packer game just got over, favre (lord and savior) just threw the longest TD pass in overtime history to win! God now I'm all pumped up, heading out to the bars in a bit to celebrate!

*edit* they just said on ESPN its the 2nd longest now... but still, damn.

back on topic....

The lighter clowns you found are probably cinnamon clowns. They are not compatable with your tomato. I had a tomato for a while and it was SOOO aggressive, almost as mean as maroon clowns.

There is another option. You could dump the tomato clown back at the fish store and try fresh with two clowns that are already swimming together. that way, you could choose exactly what you want.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Maybe i'll stick to my 1 clown!
When i first added my florida anemone it took him 3 days to build up his amune system to face it's tenticals,But since i added the BTA he just forgot about Florida.
A gave my clown hake and he took the hake to the florida,but now i need to feed the florida with my hand.
He doesn't do the same with my BTA,how do i feed my BTA or with what?
I gave my florida hake every day for 1 month and it doubled in size!!!!

You need to feed the BTA the same way. Just put a piece of seafood on its tentacles and it will move it to its mouth. Don't try to force feed it.

well..i have only clowns on my tank rigth now..exept for a gramma..they are 3 different kind..i introduce at first the tomato and sebae in y tank..they are about the same size..at first the like bump each other but they get used to each one..they ignore each other..i had to take down my 10g, i had an occelaris there..i took my chances to put him in my 20g..somting weird happend and the two others accept him quickly..even the tomato protects him..i guess that was 1 in a million chance...i wont try that again..different species are agressive to each other and it could end up in massacre

Back