controllers

knothole

Reefing newb
anyone use the aquadyne octopus 3000 controller? i found 1 for $200.00 and looks like a great deal. it is used and has 3 probes. 1 for temp, 1 for ph, and 1 for orp.

unless you run ozone the orp probe is just wasting space, as for the controller, ive never used it and havent read any reviews about them

does anyone use any controllers on their tanks? the book for this one says the probes for ph and orb should be stored with a cap n them with tap water. it says if they are aloud to dry they will be inacurate. the fish store guy said that was a way for them to get more money and the probes were fine. he also said they could be cal'd with some cal fluid and verified. sound right to yall?????

does anyone use any controllers on their tanks? the book for this one says the probes for ph and orb should be stored with a cap n them with tap water. it says if they are aloud to dry they will be inacurate. the fish store guy said that was a way for them to get more money and the probes were fine. he also said they could be cal'd with some cal fluid and verified. sound right to yall?????

I have an ACIII on my tank. Probes should be stored in a storage solution that acts as a buffer and has some anti-bacterial additives to keep stuff from growing in it. The glass probe should NEVER be allowed to dry out for long periods and should be rinsed with DI water before storage. It should NOT be stored in DI water but only in a buffer solution or storage solution should be used.

Like a dumb newb I screwed up the probe on my ACIII by not following the above. I purchased my ACIII a few months before setting up my tank. I just had to see the liquid that was in the probe and ended up spilling it out. I figured as long as the probe was wet I'd be fine so I put some water in the probe and capped it. When I hooked it up I could not get the probe calibrated. I ended up having to buy a new probe. And yes you also need to calibrate it using PH solutions of 7 & 10.

I'm an environmental scientist, and I use the same types of probes for work. Never ever ever store them dry!!

But, we do store ours in RODI water.

Ours need to be calibrated between every use. When you buy a probe, it should come with some calibration solutions, and possibly even some storage solutions.

Usually,you have to buy the solutions seperate.But thats no big deal,just a little over a buck a pack.
I use an ACjr but just to keep track of my PH.

Back