Controlling Overgrown Green Star Polyps

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
The LFS guy said you need to remove the whole rock and then razor blade off sections of an overgrown Star Polyp. It forms a purple rubbery mat on the rock. Instead, could you not cover some small part of Star Polyp with a piece of plastic or something, cutting off light, and causing it to die back?

You could place small rubble around the rock that is is on. That way when it gets over grown, you just cut that paice of rock out and sell it to the LFS

Brian

+1 James and Bj
You dont want to start killing off part of the colony in the tank.That can cause infection in the rest of the GSP,killing the entire colony.

Sen, slice and dice seems to be the way to go, however I have thought of your way before. If you had a larger tank, and pollution wasn't an issue I think your way would work.

I wish I was close enough to take some off your hands. As mentioned sell some to your LFS. Mine is always buying some of my mushroom and leathers.

i like the idea of selling it to your LFS, kind of like a cash crop in your fish tank :P

i don't know the truth in this... but i've always heard that while GSP grows like it's $19.99 (recession joke) it gives way to other corals.

daugherty is right... killing/stressing the coral will release organics like nobody's business.

Back