Propagating pink star polyps

dixiegirl21191

Reef Junkie
So I cut 2 small pieces of the mat of my pink star polyps and relocated them on another piece of rock in my tank. How long does it normally take for them to attach to the rock I put them on and how long before they will open back up? The polyps on the mother colony haven't opened up since I cut the pieces off.

Did you glue them? Shouldn't be long till they open back up, maybe a day or two max. I just used to rip them, and the next day they would be fine.

No I didn't glue them, I just kinda nestled them in pretty good while trying to be as gentle as possible. The pieces I cut are very small. One has like 2 or three polyps and the other should have close to 6. My mother colony is not too awful big so I didn't want to risk taking too much and not doing something right and killing it all.

Yep, make sure it is the gel though.
I use this, works wonders, but you have to use quite a bit:

51zyMpJZtML.jpg

+1 Waddi

The pink polyps wont attach to the rocks until it grows more polyps, so you will need to glue it down. And if at least 3 of your fingers arent stuck together, you didnt use enough glue

Do you guys remove the rock before gluing I'm assuming? What if the rockwork doesn't really allow you to remove pieces whenever? Is there some way to secure a polyp or coral while the entire thing is under water?

Make sure you take like an old toothbrush or something and brush off the area you want to glue it too. I tried gluing something to part of my lr and just couldn't get it to stick. Someone from here told me to brush it first, and then it stuck right to it.

Back