Copepods?

Skylar Oborny

Reefing newb
I have spoted tiny white specs moving around on the wall of my display tank, I am thinking they are copepods. I have seen my maroon continuously pick at the wall possibly eating them. I have also noticed that the brown algae on the wall of me tank is disappearing where the white specs are located. Do I want my fish feeding of them or should I continue to feed my maroon clownfish frozen shrimp, so I can allow the population of the copepods grow?

Yes they are pods. They are a good food source for your fish as well as scavengers in your tank. As long as you have live rock for them to hide and breed in then your fish should have a constant supply of snacks. There are some fish "Mandarins" "scooter bleny" that will eat only live pods these fish can empty a tank of pods then starve to death if pods are not added.

Yes they are pods. They are a good food source for your fish as well as scavengers in your tank. As long as you have live rock for them to hide and breed in then your fish should have a constant supply of snacks. There are some fish "Mandarins" "scooter bleny" that will eat only live pods these fish can empty a tank of pods then starve to death if pods are not added.

I have 100 lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon tank, and another 20 lbs of live rock in my refugium, would it be possible to have a constant supply of copepods to keep up with a Manderin if the copepods reproduce in the refugium where the manderin couldnt get them? or would I still have to add more copepods to keep the Manderin alive?

tank raised, already on man made foods. the others are reefed and tend to be a money pit to keep pods stocked. everything eat pods and they only make it so far. one day the whole sand bed is moving, next day.... nothing. spend the extra 15 bucks and save the heart ache.
im sure someone will jump in and say "that's what a sump is for," they never will make it alive past the pump. kinda like sticking your hand down the garbage disposal and expecting to have 5 digits.

I will have to say that many of my copepods make it through my return pump into the DT. I'm sure not all of them do but I have a good supply in my DT.

Back