Copperband Butterfly

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Does anyone have one other than Yote? I am looking for feedback. I got one a month ago and he is still alive. I have set me own personal record for keeping one alive. He eats great. He gives the tang a run for his money. I will update with pics tomorrow or so. He is a stud. Yote, aren't you going on 5 months? that has got to be a world record or something

-Doc

DOC, yotes died.... as did mine. mine lived for about 3-4 mos. i think if i knew more about diet when i had it i could have kept it alive for longer because there was no apparent signs of death..... just one day bad powerhead blockage with a fish body. I love those fish but am scared to ever risk another one. mine ate like a vaccum but i just dont think i gave it a good enough diet. hell i was a noob. you can see pics of it in my 80 gal thread somewhere in the showcase.

actually i went out to find it myself..... just because when your cooped up in a hotel you can be that bored!

here is "lucky" the late copperband

nasoandlucky2.jpg

good luck with the copperband. i freakin love those fish. i used to watch him pick pods off the rocks when the moonlights went on and the rest of the lights went out. it was awesome to watch.

OK then. My confidence is just about gone then. So, it seems as if 4 months is the limit, huh? Mine has 3 more to go I guess. Too bad. I have never had one eat before like this and I was hopeful. Oh, well. I will enjoy him while I can

-Doc

im sure your feeding angel and butterfly to that tank with the copperband in there. I know your down with that stuff. i was dumb when i had mine, just thought brine was a good fish food haha. though he ate a ton i dont think he ate all the right things. just try to make sure the diet is really good and hopefully you will be successful. I would love to try another one. my LFS has a large size one and has had it in thier 125 for years. the damn thing will eat out of your hand.

years? I have never heard of a Cbb living that long. That would be awesome. I do feed my guy (sarge is his name) angel and butterfly food along with a rotation of marine cuisine and emerald entrée. He seems to really like it. I guess time will tell.

Wow,
I am glad I saw this thread. My LFS has one that will apparently be "perfect" in my tank. I had no idea they have such a terrible survival rate. Silly me-I thought it would be a hardier choice then a mandarin. Thanks guys!

they are tough fish to keep alive. I think the draw is that they are the only butterfly fish that is reef safe. I just think they are super pretty. I am a fan of them but know the risk. I keep telling myself I will not get one again but here I am.

Good choice to avoid it, Michelle. Most people that have a copperband butterfly fish only use it long enough to eat their aiptasia and then pass it on to someone else who needs it. They rarely live longer than a couple months in our tanks.

doc hang in there with that cbb there great fish but are known to pick at some corals and clams my friend had one that lived for a year and a half so that might be a recorded but then he noticed that it was always picking at his calm but we did notice that he ate good but was shy and skidish at times then one day i went over to see his tank and was there for about a hour and looked up and its like setting next to a piece of his live rock on its side (so not sure if died on the age or was upset with tank and it just rejected him )but they seem to be spoke easy so may been from stress so i can say about them i think with good food supply and time and maybe make him see you alot may help matters alot
he should be fine just keep an eye on him and good luck

I just recently tried one. he lived for 2 weeks. he ate like a champ at the lfs. I brought him home and he wouldn't eat anything but my nacarrious snails. once they were gone. he kicked the bucket.

my guy is over a month old and he is still rocking the tank. He devours food, he loves marine cuisine and angel / butterfly portions. He looks fat and plump and I hope that he keeps it up. I can only hope. the downside is that he won't touch my aptasia. I am starting to breed it and it is pissing me off. My peppermint shrimp won't eat my aptasia either. bastards.

-Doc

Back