coral banded shrimp molting

Fireplug

Reefing newb
How often does a Coral Banned Shrimp molt. My mom's molted twice in 3 and 1/2 weeks. He is a big guy and is very active. I know they molt to grow but just concerned since it was so soon. He has been with her for about 3 months and just started these molting stages.

Hi NorthStar24
Do you think your CBS died from molting so much or did something else happen to him?

I will have to get an iodine test kit. I've read if you don't have enough iodine they will not molt. Will to much iodine make them molt more often?

Thanks for your response.

If they are being feed or there is lots to scavenge, they will grow faster and molt faster. While they do need proper trace element amounts to build their new skeleton, just doing water changes is more than enough to supply them with the elements they need for proper molting.

I dont often do water changes, but my shrimp still molt every 3ish weeks.

For your shrimp, i wouldnt worry about testing or dosing iodine. But it wont hurt to have the test, at some point if you have lots of fast growing SPS corals you might find it to be one of those things you need to test and dose for.

Thanks Little Fish. I thought all was well but didn't realize my CBS would molt so often. I was also surprised/concerned that he didn't hide out for a couple of days like he did the first time he molted. My Baby is Growing Up so Fast!

Back