Coral Bandit vs. Peppermint

GassyMon

Wazzuuup
I just bought 2 peppermint shrimps for my 29 biocube. Its getting kind of tight for the nonswimming fish/inverts in the tank because I have Coral Bandit, Cleaner, Watchmen Goby, Tonsof corals, hermit crabs and snails. My Peppermints were realease about a minute apart and they have acted like wingmen. My coral bandit has grabbed and ate one of the legs off the shrimps and I have not seen the shrimps together (Only see one at a time(Could be same one)). What should I do about the hostileness?

This is interesting, b/c I was wanting to have a coral banded shrimp in my 24g. Along with a peppermint and most importantly 2 sexy shrimp. Having second thoughts now.... are they normally hostile?

My coral bandit and cleaner shrimp get along fine. He just chases the cleaner out of his territory every once and a while. He tryes to eat my clownfish and peppermint shrimps though

There are stories of coral banded shrimps being aggressive to other shrimps and even catching small fish.A good enough reason for me not to keep them.

+1 reeffreak, I'd rather just keep peppermints and cleaner shrimp. Also Gassymon, don't expect to see the peppermints too often they usually hide in crevasses and caves during the day.

Most Coral Banded shrimp are agressive toward other shrimp. The one in my 120 is huge, but fairly laid back and not bothering any fish, snails, hermits, or starfish.

Thanks guys. Reeffreak its funny you said they eat small fish becasue I bought a small clownfish (3/4 of an inch) and he ate him the second night :(

They are aggressive shrimp. That behavior towards the peppermint is not surprising. I don't recommend them for reef tanks because they can kill fish and other inverts.

Coral banded shrimp are agressive to almost anything, I have had them eat small angels and and other fish at night while they were sleeping. i never keep fish/inverts with coral banded shrimp unless it is a big tank; it sounds a little crowded for one in a 29gal biocube with the other shrimp and fish i would trade it in at your LFS.
good luck!

I've always had a mated pair of coral banded shrimp in my reef tanks. They seem to be much more intellegent than most shrimp and can handle themselves with semi-aggressive fish for the most part. They are definately very territorial and aggressive toward other shrimp. They are also canibals. They will kill each other if not mated. My recent pair used to have babies often and when hatched they would both sit in front of the water flow and filter their offspring into their mouths. You should not have a problem with a smaller coral banded killing fish.

Something worth mentioning, my corals bandeds and Harlequin didn't bother each other. They coexisted for a couple months. I ran out of starfish and the harleqin died unfortuatnely....and the starfish are now back, of course.

+1 irensing
I'm not so fond of Peppermint shrimp. IMO they just seem worthless. Coral banded shrimp on the other hand I dig.

Peppermints are good scavengers, so a good member of a cuc ... And if I can get some of mine reproducing, that some free live food for my fish!

My CBS was an SOB,always chased and pinched my fish.....my Humu liked him though:mrgreen:....Red Robin .......Yummmmm

Back