coral beauty

dwinzent

Reefing newb
i bought a coral beauty about two weeks ago and he now has cloudy eyes. i noticed the other day when feeding. he seems to be able to see fine but it kinda worries me it has gradually been getting worse over the past couple days. anyway Nitrate-20 Nitrite-20 ammonia-0 and ph is 8.2 been doing 10% water changes weekly with RODI but did 20% yesterday.

you need to reduce your nitrites to 0 this is very stressful for you fish. The coral beauty is showing signs of ich or scales. add garlic to his diet you may need to take him out and put him into QT, they can also usually tolerate FW dips.

I hope so also. Nitrites are lethal and need to be at 0. As far as the cloudy eyes, pristine water conditions will take care of the cloudy eyes.

besides the cloudy eyes, is the fish showing any other signs of stress? Is it eating?

+1 all of the above on the nitrite reading

I'm no fish expert, so I have a question:

If the cloudy eyes is from high nitrates, will the fish return to normal if the nitrates are lowered enough? Or is this damage permanent?

I'm no fish expert, so I have a question:

If the cloudy eyes is from high nitrates, will the fish return to normal if the nitrates are lowered enough? Or is this damage permanent?

Usually,but not always.
Theres several different factors involved like just how bad the water quality is,how long the fish has been in that condition,and the over all health of the fish.
But about 99.9% of the time,they'll clear up with good quality water and proper nutrition.

yeah i appologize the nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 20 but i lowered it this week with extra water changes and less feeding and he seems to be doing better. his eyes arent as cloudy and swims around alot more.

Last edited:
Back